Sunday, October 26, 2008

one dish wonders


I'm interrupting my lovely six days off to actually go in and work a shift today. Just one shift. How hard can that be? Especially since we tend to do potluck on Sundays, which I really like. I don't know what it is about a huge spread of food that I've only prepared a tiny part of that makes me so happy, but there you have it.


But it's also been a busy day around here. Two soccer games ( yes, the ortho guy finally gave Surfer Dude the green light to play with his cast), driving Sasquatch all over town, and going to see the play performance tonight that SD passed on. Not much cooking time to be found, and yet I really wanted to make something yummy.


Doesn't everyone have a couple of go-to dishes that can be pulled out of a hat - no recipe needed? Well, this is mine. Five minutes prep and one dirty bowl. Aahh.


Jalapeno Popper Dip

2 packs softened cream cheese
1 cup mayo
4 oz can diced chili peppers
2 oz can diced jalapenos
a slug of garlic powder
bread crumbs or panko
1 (ish) cup of parmesan cheese

Mix together the cream cheese and the mayo. Fold in the peppers and garlic powder. (I usually add in some extra parmesan cheese, too). Put in a shallow pan and top with bread crumbs. Toss parmesan cheese on top of that. Bake at 350 until it's browned on top. (Or you can nuke it. I bake it at home and then nuke it at work to reheat it). Serve with some sturdy kind of cracker. Easy peasy.

This tastes amazingly like a jalapeno popper and has met very few detractors once it's on a table. (Unless you accidentally double the jalapenos, which I did recently, and which I seriously don't recommend). That haunted me for days.


Anyone else want to play the no-brainer recipe game?

9 comments:

-Ann said...

This wouldn't really work for a potluck, but I love to make quesdillas as a quick lunch or dinner. It's always amazing to me to have a warm, delicious meal in less than 5 minutes.

laurie said...

i made curry last night. when the rice was done (25 minutes) so was everything else. two dishes, technically---a pot for the rice, and a saute pan for the veggies. but it was very good.

Kim said...

Last night I made a healthy version of one of our favorite state fair meals (not counting anything deep fried).

1 pkg sweet Italian turkey sausage
1 coarsely chopped onion
1 red pepper cut into strips
5 potatoes, chopped, with skin
(I like Yukon Gold)
1 cup frozen corn
olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Combine all ingredients except olive oil and seasonings in a large baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then toss to coat. Roast at 400 degrees F about half an hour, turning sausages halfway through cooking time.

So easy. Ten minutes prep time, one dirty pan, and delicious. The way the house smells when I make this is amazing. Serves 5.

Irene said...

My god, woman, that sounds deliciously fattening and I wish I had a big spoon to eat it with.No fair making my mouth water like that. Life is tough enough as it is.

Rudee said...

Well first let me say, I can't believe you went in to work during your long stretch off. Crazy woman. Secondly, I am going to make this and I'll be certain not to put 2 cans of jalapeno peppers in it. Thanks for the recipe.

Here is mine:

Go to the freezer. Take the lid off the haagen dazs belgian chocolate ice cream. Nuke for 10 seconds because it's harder than a rock, grab a spoon and eat it all. Try hard to hide the evidence-that can be tough if it's on your hips.

Pamela said...

whats a slug.
The recipe is a keeper, but I want to make sure how much garlic. ha ha

Anonymous said...

it looks yummy, set an extra plate RC...

Tiggerlane said...

I have a fun and easy one - for a Sunday brunch or breakfast!

Mexicana Brunch Pie - from Southern Living Recipes

Ingredients:
5 eggs - beaten
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 oz small curd cottage cheese
2 cups shredded monterrey jack cheese (I used a blended Mexican cheese)
4 oz chopped green chilies, undrained

Combine first four ingredients in mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into a well-greased nine-inch pie plate. Bake at 400 degrees for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes or until set. Cut and serve!

the rotten correspondent said...

Yum. You're all making me hungry. And thanks, too. I'm always in the market for new ideas.

Pamela - if you want friends for the day, shake the container once over the bowl. If you don't care, shake it four or five times.

Myself...I just keep shaking.