Friday, December 5, 2008

this post is brought to you by the letter F



Why F? Stick around.


Fabulous Friends: The picture above is a pair of socks knitted for me by the wonderful Rudee at A Knitting Nurse, and which I opened tonight. The package came yesterday, but a child who shall remain nameless seemed to think it was a Christmas present and hid it from me - hence the delay. I had known she was making me a pair of socks but didn't really know what to expect. Aren't they incredible?? I can't even begin to describe the way they feel - so soft and comfy and fitting perfectly on my feet. And the name of the hand painted yarn? Crazy Woman. Perfect. Wonder what made her pick that yarn??


Thank you from the bottom of my happy little feet, Rudee. I absolutely, positively adore them!


Flu?:
I woke up this morning feeling not so hot. Okay, I lie. I felt really rotten. I laid around and moaned and then finally decided to go to the gym. I'm now at the tail end of the 5th week of this 8 week running program, and am feeling motivated. I told myself if I just couldn't hack the treadmill, I could go sit in the dry sauna, which is one of my favorite things in the entire world. Well, not only did I finish the run easily, but I felt a heck of a lot better after it. I'm still not sure what it was, but I'm voting for the power of suggestion. We've had a lot of patients in with the stomach flu and some of the nurses have caught it too. One of them was telling me about hers in blow by blow detail yesterday, so, being me, I was sure I'd catch it too. Maybe I will. But not today.


Frickin' hell:
So there I am congratulating myself on how well this running thing is going, when I found myself on the downhill side of a one hundred and twenty pound Lab running hell bent down the stairs. Handfuls of Ibuprofen, bags of ice and a new Ace wrap and I still can not put any weight on my right ankle without lots of pain. It goes without saying that I have to work tomorrow. There are only two positives here. One, if I walk tomorrow the way I've walked this afternoon, I plan on hoisting my foot onto some poor doc's work station and saying HEY! Take a look at this. And fix it, while you're at it. And two, I have Rudee's fabulous socks all lined up to wear to work tomorrow. They may be my very own magic cure.

12 comments:

Altaglow said...

OUCH!!! Please let me know how you are.

Susan said...

They are beautiful!!! There is nothing quite like a cozy pair of socks. Seriously hope your ankle is ok...and glad you don't have the flu!

Rudee said...

I'm so glad you like them and sure hope you didn't injure something badly. I can't say for sure how hard it is to get plaster out of socks so be careful

Enjoy in better health.

As for the "stomach flu" I've lost 8 pounds this week.

Maggie May said...

Lovely socks..... I would wear them myself!
Hope you don't get real flu!
Hope you are soon OK.

Pam said...

those socks look super cozy & comfy..warm, too. i LOVE the colors. hopefully ya can get fixed up @ work tomorrow. feel better soon :)

lebanesa said...

argh - you are having too much of an eventful life right now.
Wowie - those socks are the cheering up type. Lovely

Potty Mummy said...

Lovely socks. And yes, dragging yourself to the gym when you feel rubbish is always a good idea. Though of course it never seems that way when you're leaving the house and the sofa is calling "Hey! Look at me! I'm here - all comfy - not outside in the cold and rain..."

Anonymous said...

How did she know to knit jayhawk colors, so neat. All fans should have a pair of those.
Marti's Mom.

Devon said...

Didn't you know you were supposed to spend some quality couch time today? You tried to fight it at the gym, but destiny interveined in the form of fido.

Hope all is well and you don't go on the "flu diet".

Susan said...

Any update on your ankle?

Irene said...

Fantastic socks, really powerful! Those socks ought to make your ankle heal quickly, I just know it. The colors are just right. I am glad you don't have the flu and that you worked through it at the gym. You are a tough broad, right?

That Janie Girl said...

I hope you get better!!