Monday, June 1, 2009

branching out


This is going to be a very interesting summer.


My folks get here in about a week and a half for a visit, and then in July we'll go home for a couple of weeks. There are not words to say how much I am looking forward to that.


One of my kids has the chance to spend a month out of state in a once in a lifetime opportunity. It's not a done deal yet, but he wants to go, and in spite of my angst I simply cannot say no. I want to, but I can't.


One of them has been invited to spend some time with his best friend in yet another state. I've been dragging my feet on making the plans (chalk it up to still more angst), but the time has come to put on my big girl panties and just do it. I know he'll have a blast. It's me I'm worried about.


One of them is actually contemplating getting a job - in between that summer school session that completely snuck up on him and his physics challenged brain. I wish him luck with this "job", since his list of requirements could conceivably prove daunting to any potential employer. The notion that he would have to be there on time and trained is puzzling to him, and I fully expect that his "dream job" of the summer is going to translate into holding his hand out for cash at the Bank of Mom. Silly rabbit.


All three of them are grappling (with varying degrees of success and no small amount of humor) with their father's very last minute announcement that he is moving in with his girlfriend in less than a week.


And me? Well, now there's a story. Freaked out about the idea of my kids being gone. Worried over the usual summer logistics. Excited about out of town visitors and trips away. Completely over anything the FX does or doesn't do - except as it relates to my children. Pondering the idea of some actual time for me. With a couple of projects of my own up my sleeve. And a very unexpected outlook on the world.


Oh, my god...has the sky always been this blue?

13 comments:

Irene said...

Yes for as long as winter has been over and the rainclouds have been chased away. What a discovery, huh? So, what are you going to do? What irons do you have in the fire? Any glimpses you are going to show us?

LFG said...

Nope. We get to caught up in being distracted by the clouds when we are younger. As Mimi said several post's back, If we could only start out old and then grow younger. Youth is wasted on the young :)

lv4921391 said...

the kidlings are testing their wings...soon to empty the nest...have a fun summer.

lebanesa said...

All sounds good to me.
You will do the little let-go and because you want the best for your kids and want them to grow up independent and with healthy minds, so you'll be able to cling to that if you do get any shaky moments.
From my own momma-moments, I can say that it is surprising how little we worry when they are actually away with other people. Not quite out of sight out of mind, but amazingly near.
As for the job - bless. At least he's thinking about that. If it doesn't happen, well, early days, maybe next summer.
My own spoilt darling is working in a cafe and LOVES it - seems amazed that they would actually pay and SO MUCH for anyone to be there washing their dishes. She was thrilled to be accepted to work there, so that set the tone for the rest.
The sky is very blue and if you can actually get time to be independent yourself, all the better.

softinthehead said...

That sounds like an interesting summer for everyone - take a deep breath and enjoy! :)

flutterby said...

Just think what great memories your kids who go off with friends will have. Those first wing-beats out of the nest are not to be forgotten even if the duration isn't long.

Maggie May said...

Life seems to be working out for all of you. I am so pleased. Something special will turn up.

Expat mum said...

Cor - think of all that "me" time. I am currently planning and scheming about the summer. So far I have one week when they're all in some camp or other. Not much time for me, me , me. Must do better.

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

So familiar with the mommy angst. It is hard letting them go; I am such a worrier. But then isn't that a synonym for mom/worry.

Akelamalu said...

It is so difficult letting your kids go but so necessary - you'll be fine! I'm so happy the sky is blue again for you. x

Mimi said...

Well, I only joined your blog recently, but in that short time, I'd say you totally deserve a break and some "me time" over the summer, so I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

sharon said...

Ah...me time is a wonderful thing. Once you get over the initial shock of not having all of the boys around all of the time you will enjoy it immensely!

Devon said...

Yes RC, the sky really is that blue!!!

I can feel it in your writing, you really are over your wasband. Let the creativity flow!