Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I could have danced all night...


What does any self respecting trauma junkie do after a grueling twelve hour shift in the ER?


Well, she does her Fire/Medical ride-along, of course. Designed to give ER staff a better understanding of what goes on "pre-hospital", we're now required to do four hours of time with the paramedics as they respond to calls. I didn't want to give up any precious hours on a day off, so I stacked mine after a regular shift. This could have been really bad, but I lucked out and got the busiest station in town - and an amazing and nurse friendly team to boot. Our town combines fire and medical, which means that if a fire had come along I could have gone out on that run too. Alas, no fires, but can I just say how very much I enjoyed the paramedic end of it? There's something about barrelling down the road at some god-forsaken speed, sirens blasting and cars scattering as fast as possible in your path to satisfy the most blatant adrenaline cravings.


Damn. I may be falling over exhausted, but that was a blast.

10 comments:

Devon said...

I totally get that... When I was 19 I started working on an ambulance in a large California city.

I saw, (and smelled), things you wouldn't believe. It is those years of experience that assure me each and every ER story you provide is absolutly true!

Damn, sometimes I miss those days!

Maggie May said...

You sound as though there is job satisfaction......
You are doing a difficult but great job.
I love to watch those ER documentaries, going out with the shout. Now you are part of it for real......... temporarily.

Maggie said...

I'm smiling.

aims said...

Hon - been catching up - blogging is so hard for me right now and I have to say I missed you.

About the kids going away - sigh. Sounds like everyone is growing up.

I too laughed at the FG. I mean - really?

We had a rafting guide who became a paramedic. I was jaw-dropping astounded at some of his stories he would tell. One day I asked him how he could do it after he 'saved' someone's eye that had popped out in an accident. He turned to me and said - 'Someone's got to do it.'

The guy had been a jerk and a childish employee for most of the 6 years he worked for us. No wonder he astounded me so much huh?

Akelamalu said...

You're a glutton for punishment aren't you hon? :)

Irene said...

You're an adrenalin junkie, that's what you are. Glad you had such a good time. Worth the repeat?

Unknown said...

You're hilarious! And an adrenaline junkie too. But if I had to go to ER, you're who I'd want to meet, you sound like such a caring but capable nurse. Really enjoy your nurse stories; it's a job I could never do, tho my Mum was a nurse and loved every minute of it. Guess you're either cut out for it or not.

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

That's crazy, 12 hour shifts are never 12 hours and then you added to yours. Tsk, tsk. However, I have pulled some of the same crazy shenanigans. Rest well and I hope you recuperate quickly.

Gosh, that sounds fun though... :)

sistawhodownunder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiggerlane said...

I always wondered if it was worse for ambulance crews. Looking at someone all messed up in the ER...a controlled environment...can't be as bad as the freakiness of seeing that same messiness in the atmosphere of pavement and all things non-sterile. Would freak me out!