Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Nurse Ratched reporting for duty


Well, it's going to be a quick one today. I got called to see if I wanted some extra hours today at work, so I'm heading in. Once again, I'm struck by the flexibility of this job. I'm covering for someone from ten until three-ish while she takes care of some personal business. The fact that we can even cover part of our shift still amazes me. At my old job you worked from seven in the morning until seven thirty at night - no exceptions. Period. A few years ago when we were doing a whirlwind eight day trip to California, we could have taken a red eye flight and bought ourselves one full day extra, but I would have had to leave work thirty minutes early. No go. It was really frustrating.
So today I get to feel like I'm helping someone out, make a little extra money and still make it home within an hour of when the kids get home. Of course it's Wednesday, which is early release day in our district, but the Film Geek has a break in his classes in the afternoon, so it's perfect.
What's even more perfect is knowing that if I ever need it I can take advantage of this flexiblility too. As a parent, just having options open to you is invaluable.

2 comments:

Happy in the Abyss said...

Nurse...oh, Nurse! Can you get me a bedpan!!!!

Susan said...

Something tells me that Nurse Ratched doesn't allow for flexible work shifts.