Thursday, February 12, 2009

in the pink


So I've broken my new vow of thriftiness already.


It lasted three days.


Here's the story in a nutshell. I've been meeting a friend at the gym and have been really dedicated to exercising. But even better, I finally got up the nerve to start running again. Last week I ran a mile straight, fretting about my ankle the entire time. It never even hurt a bit, then or later. Day before yesterday I was up to two miles at a clip and I could have gone more - it felt that good. I was never even out of breath. (I realize that this is a far cry from my marathon ambitions, but a girls gotta start somewhere).


But right before that two mile run, I popped in my earbuds and went to pick an upbeat motivational song, and my (relatively) new iPod died right there on the spot. It just froze on the song it was playing - Alannis Morissette if anyone is interested - only it wasn't playing it at all, it was just stopped. I fiddled and I swore and I may have even begged a little, but no luck. It was a goner. And since I'd bought it used on eBay, my warranty options were...nonexistent.


Now the dilemma began. Should I just pop the $50 for a little piddly iPod shuffle to get me through my workouts? Should I suck it up and run sans music? Should I take a friend up on the offer to borrow his iPod, hoping it didn't fall under the spell of iPod death that pervades Casa RC? (Just last week, Sasquatch dropped his video iPod into the toilet accidentally. You may have all heard the wails. One more reason to not wear cargo pants. I'm just sayin'). For a full 24 hours I agonized. I would (and do) spend it on my kids in a heartbeat. Why could I not justify spending it on myself?


Today after the gym, my car seemed to be driving itself to Target, in spite of all of my protestations to the contrary. And before you knew it, I was the proud owner of a wicked hot pink iPod shuffle, a pink so violent that it virtually guarantees that none of my boys will accidentally "borrow it". I wanted the green, but I wasn't born yesterday. I drove home marvelling that something that small could be that fricking expensive. (This tells you how many diamonds I've had in my life).


My late iPod was belly up on the kitchen counter, and I glared at it as I plopped my Target bag down. Walking past it, I gave it a violent poke with my finger just because I felt like it.


And it turned back on. And has worked perfectly ever since. Son of a biscuit eater. It's my very own conspiracy theory.


I'm keeping the shuffle anyway. It's little and it's cute and it's pink. There's not anywhere near enough pink in my life. But mostly I'm keeping it because if I just spent $50 to keep running...I'd better keep running.


I'm too cheap not to.

17 comments:

Rudee said...

My ipod routinely freezes and I just reset the thing. So far, no problems, but I don't want to talk about it.

ped crossing said...

I love my cute, little, pink ipod nano. I don't have enough pink in my life either.

Enjoy! And wow on the running. Good job you!

Maggie May said...

This is JUST the kind of thing that happens to me!
Loved the fact you bought a bright pink one! That was good thinking! The old one will come in useful, for next time one plops into the loo! Cargo trousers are deceivingly dangerous when you do to the loo! Thanks for the laugh!

-Ann said...

I LOVE my Shuffle and it really is much better for running than a regular IPod. It's easier to skip songs and adjust the volume on the Shuffle. Sure, you can't see what's playing, but then that can be part of the fun.

Irene said...

I don't even own any kind of an iPod. I think I am too fond of silence at home and the general noises of the town around me when I walk the dog. It always makes me think that I should have been a monk and maybe I was one in a former life. Sometimes I'm in the mood for music, but then I listen to it on the PC while I clean the apartment or sit and have my coffee. Silence, though, is an underrated thing.

Potty Mummy said...

My ipod does that same thing and like Rudee, I recharge it and everything is fine. I think it's Mr Apple just trying to make us grateful for them when they DO work...

Kim said...

I am the proud owner of a circa 2004 Dell DJ 20G. It's a monster, but I put it into its carry case, hook it to my waistband and exercise with it anyway. I think of it as extra weight work.

My kids all have ipods they've acquired in the past six months. Hubby has an iphone. You'd think I'd break down and buy myself one, but I can't bring myself to replace something that still works perfectly.

laurie said...

sounds like you didn't lose anything by taking that time off for your foot to heal. good for you. glad it's not hurting.

laurie said...

and, like irene, i like to hear the world when i'm walking. i have a shuffle and it's loaded with RTE documentaries, but i only listen to them on occasion. mostly i like the racket inside my head.

Iota said...

"Son of a biscuit eater"? What kind of a phrase is that? Never come across it before.

And is it a dig at the English (biscuits = cookies)? Or at people who eat biscuits and gravy? (I've been here long enough to say that without wincing.)

Graham Cracker said...

One of the many advantages of living alone is that I wanted a blue ipod and didn't have to think about anyone else borrowing it, so that is what I have. And I have pink in my bedroom. Keep up the exercise and running.

Sage Ravenwood said...

I know it's not amusing, but go figure it would work after you brought a new one. Never hurts to have a back-up. (Hugs)Indigo

Daryl said...

Love my Shuffle ... iPods are notorious for just stopping .. sometimes its due to cold.. sometimes its due to low battery .. most times if you give it a time out it starts to work again. $50 for a Shuffle is $28 less than I paid for mine ... consider it an investment, without music life and exercise become less fun

Katy said...

The exact same thing happenet to me with my digital camera. It was dead. Beyond dead. I tried charging the battery for four days. Nothing happened, it would not turn on.

I went to Target and bought a slightly upgraded one.

When I got home I was walking by the kitchen table and accently knocked my old camera off and onto the tile floor. The thing came on. It worked just fine. Now, a year later it still works great.

I still kept the new camera. Because I liked the upgrade. So now I have two.

Maybe it has something to do with Target. I don't know.

Unknown said...

I deeply appreciate your patriotic act and sacrifice to step in and keep the damn economy from completely cratering. They ought to be handing out medals. And hot pink??--that's just the icing on the cake:>)

Akelamalu said...

Aint that always the way!

You could have both Ipods going at the same time playing different tunes! :0

Devon said...

I agree with The Finely Tuned Woman, silence is golden. I also don't own an mp3 player.

Today I volunteered in my child's science lab then computer lab. After school I coached a team for a science competition, then straight off to coach my son's basketball team.

A little silence would be a good thing right about now!!!