Saturday, February 7, 2009

oops


The elderly woman appeared a little out of place being led to her room with a cop at each side. She would have looked more appropriate in a cookie commercial, but since she had tried to beat the bejeezus out of her husband with a jagged broom handle, looks were clearly deceiving.


The bruised and bleeding husband refused to come into the room (or press charges), but the daughter came in grim faced and sat at the bedside. The patient was on the downhill side of dementia, but she seemed absolutely sure of her facts. When asked by one of the cops why she had attacked her husband, this was what she kept repeating:


She had been sitting in her living room sipping her cup of tea when an enormous man came in through the front door and forced her to take her clothes off. Once she had done that, fighting and kicking the whole way, he then made her raise her hands up in the air and keep them there. Her husband, watching from the next room, didn't intervene at all and let the strange man do whatever he wanted to do. And that's why she had hit him with the broom. Given the chance, she told us quite clearly, she'd do it again. Perhaps even harder the next time. If your own husband won't protect you...


The daughter put her head in her hands and sighed heavily. And when she lifted her head up, she said (through clenched teeth),


"Mother, you crazy old woman, that was your physical therapist."

18 comments:

Pamela said...

two of my brothers are P/T
I can't wait to send them that.

(Truth is, they have stories that nearly match this in hilarity)

Rudee said...

Bwahahahahahaha.

Anonymous said...

I hope to be that feisty at that age, LOL.

Susan said...

Oh, I think that is really sad.

Devon said...

I would have laughed my ass off at that 15 years ago, even added a few of my own ambulance experiences.

Now I am no fun. All I can think is, how frightening for the old woman to be so confused and convinced of her delusion.

Maggie May said...

That is really sad and every older person's worst fear.

Anonymous said...

So sad, and what a hardship for that poor family.

Akelamalu said...

Dementia is a very sad thing :(

Irene said...

I hope somebody gives me a big pill when I ever get to that stage. I don't wish to survive myself when I am like that. I think it is truly very sad.

laurie said...

so...didn't she beat up the PT? only her husband?

she WAS confused!

laurie said...

and yes, it IS sad.

but i know in your biz, as in mine, you have to develop an appreciation for black humor. we know this stuff isn't funny. but you have to laugh, or you can't keep doing your job.

Graham Cracker said...

May I never live to be in that condition!!!!

lebanesa said...

We have to laugh, how else can we bear these things?

She should have taken the broom to the therapist. Maybe he was too big...

BUT - seriously, too much taken for granted by therapists sometimes. Just because she has lost one or two marbles doesn't mean she can be treated any old how.

Poor old husband - he has to bear seeing her manhandled and then put up with her confusion. So many elderly people are caring for confused relatives.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the role model. Always looking.
And yes...graveyard humor...if we didn't laugh we would not stop crying.

Cath said...

Black humour, but so tragic.
Funny, but tragic. :)

MarmiteToasty said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHa.....

x

MarmiteToasty said...

sorry laffing at the funnyness of it NOT at the sadness of the dementia....

x

Nearlydawn said...

I told my Mom this story - we had a pretty good laugh. Then I saw this, and thought I'd send it your way, so you could have a good laugh too!

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/02/08/the-nursing-bra/