Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Saturated Sunday


My kids love Super Bowl day.


We have a tradition - going back quite a few years - of doing a junk food/appetizer dinner, and that makes them all very happy. For one night they get away from their crazy mom and her whole wheat pasta and great big bowls of steamed veggies. We go to the store and pick out the greasiest, nastiest frozen appetizers we can find and cook them up. Mozzarella sticks. Onion rings. Buffalo wings. Pizza bagels. Egg rolls. Normally we also do chips and salsa, but this year the two bags of chips I had bought and hid mysteriously "disappeared". I always put out carrots and dip, but even I know I'm delusional. This day is not about raw carrots.


Personally, I don't get football. Every single year I volunteer to work Super Bowl day because I just don't care, and I figure someone does and would like the day off. Now, the Wimbledon finals is not a weekend you'll ever find me working, and the last Saturday of the US Open - Super Saturday - is third on my major holiday list, right after Christmas and Thanksgiving. Besides, I'm already exhausted and in sports overload from the Australian Open, even if I had to watch it all in replay since the 17 hour time difference kills me. I have gotten up in the middle of the night to watch it live, but not this year. Probably just as well. I'm a huge Roger Federer fan. If I'm gonna cry, it should at least be daylight outside. But my kids are not me, and they look forward to the Super Bowl with a vengeance. Every single year.



And the game? Oh, we never turn the game on. Super Bowl day has nothing to do with football.`

8 comments:

Maggie May said...

Not sure what Super Bowl is...... and you have a day for it!
Obviously some kind of football! Course I am not the least involved with football.
I agree that a bit of grease is OK every now & then!
Bet the boys will remember this treat for years with relish!

Devon said...

My 9 year old son was asking what superbowl snacks we had for today. He couldn't name a team in the game, but that shouldn't get in the way of his chips and salsa!

lebanesa said...

Hah ! love it
I love Roger Federer too. Seems like an unusually gentle soul for a sportsman. I like Rafael Nadal too, I love watching the two of them play together - they have sucha friendly and driven rivalry - but I HAAAAAAAATE our Andy. Yuck, he is horrible and looks as if he is going to be our first successful tennis player. How horrible! He is so nasty on court. Maybe he will learn some manners and style from the lovely Roger?

Anonymous said...

aaah the Super Bowl...I was going to drop by a buddies place...his garage is a hangout for football watching...then PW announced she was posting another chapter of her love story at exactly kickoff time...I was 11th signer...dang didn't make the top 10 and the Cards lost...go Cowboys in 09...

laurie said...

none of you watch? did you not even seen the Boss during halftime??

the game was thrilling. i'm not a huge football fan, but that larry fitzgerald--the speedy guy with the wonderful braids--is a minneapolis guy. they kept cutting to his dad, who is a journalist here in the twin cities, sitting up in the press box watching his son down on the super bowl field.

it was thrilling. the whole thing. well, the second half.

but anyway, we're all about junk food, too. i gorged on chips and salsa.

Irene said...

When I was still an American, I was a football widow, along with some other of my friends. I think some of the guys just pretended to be excited about football, because it was supposed to be a guy thing and all about male bonding and drinking beer etc. I had 8 brothers in law that my ex needed to bond with and guzzle beer with. I was highly skeptical about the whole ritual and thought one was being pulled over on me. We women weren't supposed to come and sit with them, but stay in the kitchen and supply the beers and talk women talk. I hope you who read this are all very much more enlightened.

Unknown said...

Good for you!! Junk food fiesta!Watched the tail end of the game after work and cheered the Cardinals. Some damn fine and fancy footwork from the Steeler Nation though. Not to mention their coach who is very easy on the eyeballs. Shagalicious.

Akelamalu said...

I don't like football but I could eat all that junk food watching a good film! :)