Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Thursday Three


It seems like lately I've either been talking about food or hospitals, so let's change it up a little. How about


Favorite Movie Soundtracks


to get the party started? I'm sure we've all been there. You go to see a movie, and no matter what your opinion of the movie, the music is what you can't get out of your head. It's like a cinematic earworm that stays with you. This one was kind of hard to narrow down to three, but I've tried my best, even though I'm sure there a quite a few I've forgotten.


Let's go!



#1. One From The Heart. If I absolutely had to pick just one, this would be it. Crystal Gayle and Tom Waits, two people I really enjoy separately, have combined for a soundtrack that is out of this world. The movie was a stinkbomb, although they were going for some interesting visual aesthetics that were kind of ahead of their time. But the music is sublime. Moody, bluesy, poignant, and, importantly for a movie soundtrack, completely in keeping with the character of the film. If you ever come across the film, which isn't easy to do as it's probably a twenty year old stinkbomb, just shut your eyes and listen to it.

I still do. On CD. Often.





#2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Yeah, well, what can I say? Love, love, love this soundtrack.(The original, NOT the remake. Ugh). For years it was my housecleaning music because it is impossible for me to sit still when I hear this. Not that it's dance music, mind you. Even the Time Warp is like an acid drenched version of La Macarena. There's not a lot of there there, if you follow me.

I almost hate to admit that I've been to more than my share of RHPS screenings and theater performances. I was Magenta, if anyone cares to know. (And a pretty good one, if I do say so myself). Even so, I like the music a lot more than I like the film. The movie is a little (?) cheesy. The soundtrack just fills me with antici...pation.





#3. Saturday Night Fever. If the true test of a movie soundtrack is that every single time you hear a song from it you think of the movie, this is the ultimate in movie soundtracks. I will grant you that there's a lot negative to say about this one. It ushered in the disco era, for starters. And white suits. And spawned an absolutely horrific sequel. (Because nothing this financially successful ever dies).

It has been a very long time since I saw this film, but I can still remember what is going on in the movie during each song. I'm going to go on record here as saying I've always liked the Bee Gees and I thought they were brilliant with this. Disco was never my thing, but if you had to do it it might as well have been with the Brothers Gibb and company. And they still play these songs a lot, have you noticed? (Of course you hear KC and the Sunshine Band on the radio too, so I'm not entirely sure what my point is).


There are almost too many soundtracks to choose from, and there are many others I love that I've left off due to my own stupid three item limitation. I know how long I can drone on if given a chance, so I nipped it in the bud early. I did it for you. Really.


Tag. You're it.

23 comments:

Woody's Mom said...

I found your blog (which I **love**!! (through my sister, PixelPi) who oddly enough, took me as a "virgin" to RHPS in 1982.

My alter ego is definitely, dammit, Janet Weiss. Dammit, Janet, I love you!

woodysmom.blogspot.com

Pam said...

ok, since i never do a thursday three and it's not thursday yet i'll pick more than 3. lol

i agree w saturday night fever, but we can't forget grease, i don't know if rhps would be up there (but i do like some of the songs). and while we're in the 80's how about dirty dancing...such good music they had to put out a 1 & 2 for soundtrack...ooooo, a CLASSIC-prince's purple rain...it's SO good that even my girls (almost 11 and almost 9) love it! as a matter of fact, oldest wanted steve to put in his prince cd lol

btw-my son is a BIG fan of tom waits...his version (the original) of downtown train is a gazillion times better than rod stewart's!

Flowerpot said...

yes i love Sat Night Fever and Sound of Music (!) and - oh Im ust get thinking....

Flowerpot said...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...

Anonymous said...

After reading this I have quite a few favourites too. The sequel to Saturday Night Fever being one: Staying Alive. I absolutely love that film and have watched it many many times!

The other is instrumental, Dances With Wolves, music written by John Barry and is totally fantastic.

Crystal xx

Jo Beaufoix said...

Oooo love this post.

1. Dirty Dancing.
I love the music in this film.
I love the film too. I know it's girlie, but it's fab.

2. I agree with Ciara, Greece has to be in there.

3. Pup Fiction has an amazing sound track.

Now I need to go hunt them out and sing to my sick child. Do you think it will help Miss M fee better??

laurie said...

chariots of fire.
what can i say? i'm old, and sentimental.

and why aren't you showing up in my bloglines?? i wonder who else i'm missing these days

Anonymous said...

1. The Firm.

2. The Big Easy.

3. Oh brother where art thou?

I like Tom Waits' lyrics (some of the most intelligent ever written) but not his music (I've just never been keen on raspy voices, I don't like Joe Cocker or Rod Stewart either).

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Ah, One From The Heart. Brings back memories, unfortunately, of first husband.

RHPS a good one. I can't listen to SNF because when I went to college and lived in the dorms, my next-door neighbors played it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.........................

Willow has some good choices.

the rotten correspondent said...

woody's mom - welcome, dammit Janet Weiss! In truth I'm far closer to her in character, but the hair was too close to not go with Magenta. Thanks for stopping by.

ciara - Grease was a very hard one for me. I love Grease. And Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite movies ever. I had a very bad Prince experience when I was working at Paramount and have not been able to listen to him since. I used to like Purple Rain a lot!

flowerpot - see? I forgot Butch Cassidy.

crystal jigsaw - I thought I was the only one who didn't hate Staying Alive.

jo - Dirty Dancing is a movie that I have very strong feelings about and I love the soundtrack. Maybe too much. Hope Miss M. is feeling better.

laurie - I'm in your bloglines as rotten correspondent. (I had to go check!) am I missing somewhere else I don't know about? something I said?

willowtree - O' Brother Where Art Thou was one of my finalists. Love that soundtrack. I'm funny about Tom Waits - crazy about some of the stuff he does and can't stand others. Very odd.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee - I can't listen to the Top Gun soundtrack for the same reason. Just heard it too much. Although the same could be said for The Wall and I still like that. Hmm...

Beth said...

1) Sense and Sensibilty. The Emma Thompson version.

2) Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World.

3)Star Wars.

There. I've just admitted my love of the Star Wars soundtrack. Not quite as good as SNF, but just as recognizable I bet!

Hi, Sis. Knew you'd like RC's blog!

Anonymous said...

Who couln't include Satuday Night Fever and Dirty Dancing? I can't forget some old classics too, like Oklahoma & 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. (I love old musicals)
My new favorite is the soundtrack to Zodiac. Lots of good 60's & 70's music

Diana said...

I love the soundtrack from the movie "Grosse Point Blank" completely brilliant music to go with a brilliant movie. The sound track from the defunct TV series "Due South" is also one we listen to over and over.

Kim said...

My first two long time favorites have already been named: "Purple Rain" and "Grease". The first was a big deal for me in high school, I literally wore out three cassette tapes. (Telling my age here, huh?) The second one came out when I was in junior high. My girlfriends and I played it incessantly. A more recent favorite is "Garden State". I haven't even seen the movie, but I love the soundrack.

Kim said...

I meant to put in my two other favorite soundtrack CDs: "Let It Be" and Disney's "Beauty and the Beast".

Em said...

Um..

1) The Matrix - especially the bit with the Elgar re-arrangement/sample

2) (Because I'm an old romantic, deep down) Pretty Woman, although I did OD on it at one point.

3) Purple Rain.

I also love the music from virtually all Tarantino's films, he's got such great taste. And the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, except I heard too much of it when at school. I quite like the music from 'Hackers' and 'Tomb Raider', too.

Can we pick TV series as well? If so, I'll have the entire back catalog of Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy please. Fantastic stuff. :D

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I've been listening to alot of Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler for some reason. Reminds me of growing up, my dad loved Dire Straits

Akelamalu said...

Oh so many good ones but I love Dirty Dancing the best I think.

Iota said...

Local Hero. Anyone know that one?

Jen said...

EEEEK. I am so late, and so sorry.

1. Benny and Joon
It was a mediocre movie, with a really great soundtrack. The Proclaimers and "500 Miles".

2. Jesus Christ Superstar
I know this was a musical before it was a movie. However, the movie cast sound track was great. Ted Neely had an awesome voice, and all the songs are great to sing along with. Especially if you're driving down a highway with the windows open. The looks you get from people are awesome.

3. Easy Rider
Not just for Steppenwolf, but for how the whole soundtrack encompasses a generation.

and one more:

4. Good Morning Vietnam
Great music from different genres from the 60's, and Louis Armstrong.

And I agree with Willowtree, O Brother Where art Thou is a beautiful soundtrack.

code: zkzbshfh Some kind of shish kebab?

Amy said...

Mississippi Masala, Beaches, Singin' in the Rain.

Susan said...

Well, some good ones have already been mentioned so I'll go with:

You Can Count On Me
Philadelphia
The Piano

My husband's are:

Godfather movies
Avalon
The Natural
Glory
A Hard Day's Night

Fun topic!

queencake and titangirl said...

1)garden state with that wonderful song by the shins called " new slang" where natalie portmann says: " this song will change your life"
2) out of africa,an alltime favourite that always makes me cry
3)the big easy ( ah,and it felt good to be madly in love with dennis quaid:-)) )