Friday, March 13, 2009

a friend's prayer


Dear God,

Every now and then you throw something my way at work that makes me weep with gratitude at how my life has turned out. Today may have been the grand-daddy of those days, but my own personal relief is spattered with indescribable fury...and waves of nausea for the indescribable pain of those who seemingly have so much more to lose than I ever did.


Please take care of those who are incapable at the moment of protecting themselves or those they love. Please allow them to step outside of their anguish - if only for a moment - and take in all else the world has to offer. Please let them see a child's smile as a lifeline, a sunny day as a promise, a door closing as another one opening.


Thank you God, from the bottom of my heart, for this not being me, for never coming even remotely close. And please help me to erase the mental pictures that are dancing in my brain. Please. My heart is scorched by so much pain. I simply cannot bear it.


I've been holding it in all day. I think I'm finally ready to curl up in a ball and sob. Thanks for listening.


Amen.

7 comments:

Irene said...

I don't know what to say. It must have been huge. All my compassion is with you and those people you talk about. I am trying to not let my imagination run away with me. I think it is best that way.

Rudee said...

Oh dear. It must have been awful. I'm sending lots of hugs your way.

Cath said...

Oh wow - powerful.
You humble me.

Pop over mine and see why...

Excellent post and prayer.
(Hope you curled into a ball and sobbed. There is nothing wrong in doing that. The day you do not feel the pain is the day you stop being human.)

SG said...

You articulated well.. may everything turn out to be well.

Best,
Phoenix

lebanesa said...

hugs

Daryl said...

(((RC)))

I hope you are feeling somewhat better now ..

Unknown said...

Amen, and peace be with you.