Monday, March 24, 2008

and away we go...


I loved the ideas that you came up with for the one year anniversary of RC and am going to try to incorporate the works. But for today, let's kick off Blog Birthday week with... the very first post, from March 26, 2007. (thanks for the idea, aims).


Let’s just start out with a confession. I’m a rotten correspondent. (And evidently my spelling is slipping too, since it took spell check to point out that I wasn’t even spelling correspondent right). Unlike a lot of my confessions, however, I’m going to try to make things right. Or more right. Call it what you will, but this is my pea brained idea to shut my conscience up. I’m going to start a blog. And I’m going to attempt to post something every day. Stop laughing RIGHT NOW and listen to all my reasons for why this is not a completely insane idea…


1) I’m tired of the disconnect I feel with a lot of the people I want to be more in touch with, and I’m honest enough to know that a lot of it is my fault. I feel guilty when my inbox is full of mail that I don’t respond to and I feel awful when people finally give up and just stop even trying anymore. It isn’t that I blame them, I just feel bad for being such a slug.


2) It gives everyone the choice to read my ramblings or not without the worry of hurting any feelings. Believe me, what I don’t know won’t hurt me. At least, not in this case. On the positive side, we do have more than our share of amusing episodes around here, even if they don’t strike me as amusing right off the bat. Truly. Some of our friends can hardly keep a straight face in our presence, but possibly I’m paranoid.


3) I have no more excuses. The kids are all in school and I’m not. 12 hour shifts may kill my feet, but they leave lots of days off. I’ve finally learned to type. We have lift-off.


4) Back in the day, for those who have been around a while, I used to write. A lot. And I didn’t suck. And I want it back. Badly.


Are you with me? I’m terrified to hit that little “submit” button, but here I go…

18 comments:

Susan said...

A whole birthday week! I am looking forward to this. I am very glad you started this blog even if it took me a while to figure out how to comment.

Sandy said...

What a terrific first post! You still don't suck and none of us can spell correspondent - why do you think we just call you RC?

Happy Blogiversary Week!

Altaglow said...

Happy Anniversary, My Darling!!

Carolyn said...

Nice one. Looking forward to the week!

Pam said...

birthday week is a great idea, and i'm glad to see where it all began! your first post is as fabulous as all the others that came after :)

Maggie May said...

Enjoyed that! Looking forward to the rest!

Beth said...

Well, it's obvious from your first post that you were destined to be a blog hit. Happy Blogiversary Week, and here's some virtual homemade fudge being uploaded now.

Mya said...

I've never read that one before - it sets the tone for your blog brilliantly. Writing is clearly an itch you NEED to scratch - and we are all the lucky benefactors. Congrats on hitting the year mark, RC.

Mya x

the mother of this lot said...

Glad you carried on!

laurie said...

i remember this post. happy birthday! see how easy it was?

softinthehead said...

Looking forward to an interesting week, many happy returns!

aims said...

What a great beginning and I agree with Pixelpi - you were destined to be blog hit!

Akelamalu said...

That was your first post? Mine was pathetic compared to that! :(

Marti said...

Happy Anniversary RC! The first post has been as great as all of the others!

Flowerpot said...

well done you for taking that first step rc. happy anniversary!

MarmiteToasty said...

What a great first post..... and everyone since.....

Happy blob birthday week :)

x

Corey~living and loving said...

congrats to you. wow....a year. I thought you have been bloggin so much longer than me. You are a real pro. :)
love this first post of yours.
so glad to have found you.
happy aniversary.

Rudee said...

Happy Anniversary. You are a wonderful and entertaining writer--even when the subject matter is sad. Maybe more so when the discussion is a tender one. I'm happy WT sent me here--thanks for that WT.