Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Q & A

There are some questions I’ve been asked a few times in the last couple of weeks. Why exactly am I doing this blog and what exactly am I hoping to get out of it? Am I finding it rewarding for the amount of work I’m putting into it or am I discouraged by the response? Do I plan to keep it up and for how long? Fair questions, all of them, and I wish I had a good answer. Luckily for me, I’ve never let lack of an answer keep me from talking, so…

It would be easy to say something snarky, but I don’t really want to. It’s tempting to say that this is the only way my husband “listens” to me, but I won’t. (Even if it is true). I could claim that it beats cleaning the bathroom on my day off, but I won’t. (Even if it is true). I could even say it’s for the sheer pleasure of being able to express an entire thought without being interrupted, but I won’t. (Even if it is really true).


It’s almost easier to list the reasons I’m NOT doing this for. I don’t have any illusions about writing the Great American Novel or getting any kind of recognition for “my work”. I don’t imagine I’m going to change anyone’s life for the better. I don’t think anyone who doesn’t know me would be interested in what I have to say. I’m not in this to change the world.


Now that I’ve gone through all the reasons I’m not doing it, what is my answer? Well, to start with, I’m having fun with this blog. I really had forgotten the sheer pleasure of putting words on paper, and that thrill when something actually comes together the way you want it to. There’s also an element of truth in the “therapy theory”, that I use this forum as my own personal diary to keep from going totally nuts. Writing is a lot cheaper than Prozac. You could also look at the original reason I started doing this, which was to feel more in touch with the people I love and miss. On that level it has been a rousing success, and I’m so grateful for the response I’ve gotten.

Here’s an analogy for this blog. It’s like the mail. (Alright, go on and scratch your head wondering what the flip I’m talking about. As my grandmother would say, I’m fixin’ to tell you). Growing up, my stepfather was a musician, and the check was perpetually in the mail. When the mail got delivered, very often there was something good in it and people were happy. In all of our own freelance years, the mail was often a source of happy things too (like income). The Film Geek and I still race each other to get to the mail first. Yes, I know the mail also brings things from the IRS and AmEx, but there’s always the possibility of something fun. It’s like a big wrapped box, every day, just brimming with potential.

And that’s how I feel about Rotten Correspondent. When I check and see who has been on the site, it’s always a thrill for me. When I look back at a post and see that someone has actually commented, it makes my day. I can’t tell you how much I love comments. Sometimes when there’s no response I do feel a little like I’m writing for myself, but that’s okay. In a lot of ways I am writing for myself. But when I get emails and calls based on something I’ve written, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I like warm and fuzzy inside. It’s like hot chocolate for the soul.

I’ve forgotten the original question. Did I answer it?

3 comments:

Altaglow said...

It's like talking to you everyday. I love it. Altaglow

Happy in the Abyss said...

I read your Blog to find out what is going on in your neck-o-the-woods, but also to read what fantastic things I have to look forward to in this life that I have set for myself...Ahh...Motherhood...Wifedom

I LOVE YOU

flyingmonkey said...

Hon (as we would say in Baltimore), I love the blog and almost wet my knickers yesterday - how we love the users of modern health care. Keep writing - for whatever reason you like, and we will keep reading.