Friday, November 14, 2008

little miss nosy


One of the cool things about the internet is that it often makes the habits we consider so quirky to look pretty darn normal in comparison. I'm not talking about those really creepy or bizarre websites that gross you out for days. I'm primarily talking about blogging and the blogging community. Chat rooms would do the same thing, as would discussion boards. They're all a wonderful opportunity to throw whatever you want to out into cyberspace and then realize that, for the most part, we're all in the same boat.


I was gratified to find that I'm not the only person who peeks into houses on Halloween to check out the paint colors and architectural details. I'm relieved that other people deliberately put something they've already done onto their To Do list so they have something to cross off immediately. I'm happily surprised to know that other people are just as interested in the mundane details of other people's lives as I am. There's normalcy in numbers - or at least I'd like to think so.


Today I was trying to download a master grocery list on-line. You know, one of those lists that you customize with your own grocery needs and take to the store with you, all in the name of being an organizational freak and shaving a few minutes a week off of your chore list? (I'm not being judgmental. Honest. It takes one to know one). And what did I stumble upon but this? It's a website that people send their grocery lists to and they post them. The basic premise is that a huge number of people are just as nosy as I am, and I am here to tell you that these lists are fascinating. They've even turned this site into a book, believe it or not, sort of a gastronomic Post Secret.


Don't worry. I'm not going to post my grocery list. I've got it written and ready to go, though, because I've already had to plan meals for next week, since it's going to be wicked busy. But as I looked at my menus, that old nosiness crept back in. I write a lot about what we eat, partly because I'm a food junkie. But I always wonder about other people and what they put on their table. Obviously I'm not alone, if a grocery list website can spawn a book.


So, lets trade. I'll tell you one meal we're having either this week or next, and then you do the same. I'm really curious about this.


Our sample meal is salmon teriyaki, jasmine rice and steamed broccoli. I don't normally plan desserts - if I do make something, the kids eat it and if I don't, they either go without or have some ice cream or something. (I'd love to say they eat fruit for dessert every night, but I'd be a big time liar).


Okay. Your turn.

21 comments:

Altaglow said...

Tomorrow night we're having chicken paprika from a "Dear Abby" recipe probably 40 years old--but very, very good. There'll be some buttered noodles with it and fresh asparagus, which for some reason has been on sale lately. Dessert doesn't show up here often but we frequently have homemade bread.

ped crossing said...

If only I could plan that far ahead. I am planning a taco soup for sometime in the not too distant future.

You made me have to get fried chicken after your last post. :)

-Ann said...

Because it takes nearly 30 minutes on twisty country roads to get to the grocery store, I plan and shop for the entire week.

Some of the things we're having this week: beef goulash, black beans and rice, Italian pasta with broccoli.

sharon said...

Seafood (white fish fillet, prawns and scallops with fennel, green capsicum and celery in a white wine and light cream sauce) pasta bake with a side salad. Yummy and it's really good for us too!

-Ann said...

I can't remember if I mentioned this when you talked about lists, but there's a woman who makes up characters based on shopping lists she finds or has sent to her. She invents the character and then dresses up as the person.

NPR's Day to Day had a story about her - it was fascinating stuff. (And reveals how much you can learn about someone from their shopping list.)

Maggie May said...

Oh blimey! The kind of question I hate! I never know what I am going to do from one day to the next!
Except for Saturday nights and we always have a take away! Usually prawn curry with rice!

softinthehead said...

Some of these submissions put me to shame with their healthiness, but tomorrow night we are having a family favourite, actually by request of my 16 yr old, what we call Chili & Chips, chili beef topped with doritos, topped with grated cheese and chopped spring onions in the oven to get melted and crispy. It's an eating off your knees in front of the telly meal.

flutterby said...

The only thing I know for sure that we'll be having is lamb and sausage couscous tomorrow. Makes a bunch so there are nice leftovers.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

See, knowing what I might be having to eat one evening over the next week would just smack of being way too organised for me.

What I can tell you that at some point next week I will eat prawns - probably spicy - lamb - probably in a curry - and, ummmm...whatever else I can remember to get out of the freezer.

Potty Mummy said...

When I read that you have online grocery lists I thought for a moment that you meant the ones where you click your order and it gets delivered to your door. Or don't supermarkets do that there?

Anonymous said...

hmmm, went to Costco this week, replentished my stock of pinto beans, Pace picante sauce and chicken of sea tuna. Generally dinner is a couple cans of tuna, a can of pinto beans (whipped in the Magic Blender), a generous pour of Pace. All in a bowl and nuked for four minutes. Lots of times breakfast is the same.

Kim said...

One of our recent favorites is Italian turkey sausage roasted in a little olive oil with onions, green and red peppers, potatoes and corn kernels, seasoned with nothing but sea salt and pepper. Easy, delicious, and good for you to boot. I serve it with french bread. Everyone loves it, it takes ten minutes to chop or slice everything up, and just twenty minutes to roast in my convection oven.

Susan said...

This week was busy and we've got company so I planned ahead, before checking the weather...so last night when it was 87 degrees out we had baked potato soup garnished with cheddar cheese and bacon, homemade whole wheat bread, and salad. After dinner I made cookies. The soup is a cool weather favorite and when I planned this last weekend we were having a nice fall day. I generally plan the meals and go shopping on the weekend, but somehow we end up back at the grocery store most days to pick up something that wasn't on the list or I forgot we needed or have run out. Luckily there are plenty of grocery stores close by.

Cath said...

I'm with Maggie May - with no routine for Saturday. But I can guarantee a once weekly (max) chippie. (That's fish and chips from the local chip shop for non UK folks. Chipped potatoes chunky from real potatoes, not "French fries" machine cut too thin.
Mmmmmmmm

Devon said...

I love, love, love to cook! We are having pork loin marsala with home made foccia bread, broccoli and a green salad.

After two hours in the kitchen I get to watch my kids push the food around their plates and ask what is for dessert! Usually nothing btw.

aims said...

Have you tried Google Notebook? You can even share it with someone so that - say - the kids could put something they need on it and you would know when you checked later.

We have our grocery store plus Walmart - Fabricland - CanadianTire - Michaels......
you get the drift I'm sure. I need something - on it goes and The Man checks the list before leaving work - I don't do shopping by myself as you know.

An upcoming meal that I know of - The Man does the cooking - Jambalaya.....we love it!

Beckie said...

Sunday we will have baked chicken, steamed butternut squash and green beans. Baked apples for dessert.

I know - boring.

Tiggerlane said...

Last night it was lasagna. From a box. And asparagus. From a can. Tonight will most likely be Subway.

BTW, I am a PostSecret fan myself...AND, I think grocery store RECEIPTS are cool. You would enjoy the "found" web site, if you haven't already seen it.

Irene said...

Wel, you know RC, with my gastric band, my choices are limited, but I'll tell you what I really like to eat for dinner and that is a bowl of hot oatmeal with low fat milk and sugar and for desert a mixture of curds and yogurt with fruit in it. When I eat that, I am as happy as pie and my stomach likes me very much. My shopping list is very simple. If you ever want to see it, I will be happy to send it to you.

Iota said...

I'm not playing, but instead I'm offering you an idea for a tv show that my mother dreamed up. The tv presenters go into a grocery store, accost two people in the line, people with loaded carts, and (with their agreement of course) get them to swap carts. They are then only allowed to eat that week using the contents of the cart, and they have to use everything. A week later, they meet up and discuss.

A Mum said...

pasta and sauce out of a bottle last night, i know. unimaginative and lazy. tonight it's fish pie (tilapia from lake victoria, i watched Husband haggle the price down and laughed). two days time i've got a challenge ... ten for dinner in the outpost is a challenge ... 9 are hard drinking meat eating blokes and one is a dainty american vegetarian ... any ideas?