Wednesday, November 12, 2008

you're only young once


When I was a kid, back in the good old days, when you wanted to drive your parents crazy you blasted your stereo or your radio full blast. If they hated the music you were playing, so much the better. I have fond memories still of my perfectionist musician step-father clenching his teeth as I played the off-key Bay City Rollers at top volume. Oh, my god, did he hate the Bay City Rollers. (I couldn't fess up that I liked a lot of the same music he did. I had my pride). I'll admit that as teenage rebellion goes it was pretty stinkin' tame, but even so I knew it was a sure fire way to get his ire up. My teenage years were not what one might call "typical", and most avenues of traditional rebellion were of no use to me. I think it's safe to say that I've given my poor step-father a life- long tartan phobia and an irrational fear of S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y nights. My work here is done.


I thought of this the other day when I asked Sasquatch if I could look at his iPod to see if he had anything on it that I wanted to download onto my new one. You'd have thought I asked the kid to take off his underwear and hand them over. My wanting to check out his music was an intrusion to his privacy. His privacy. Does he not see that he has this totally backward? He's supposed to impose his questionable musical tastes on me just like I did to my parents at his age. It's a rite of passage, damn it. I'm supposed to be able to yell about high volumes and dodgy lyrics, and even say things like, " You call that music? It sounds like he has his hand caught in a carburetor."


Instead, I watched him slip in his earbuds and bob away to a beat heard only by him. Now where's the fun in that?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! The Bay City Rollers!!! That was my first concert!!!

Pam said...

ha ha this is where my kids are different. they don't mind me listening to some of their music and my son definitely tries to MAKE me lol sometimes, they even like stuff i listen to. i know...shocking!

Maggie May said...

No fun at all!
I used to "shock" with Bill Hayley & the Comets....... I went off them pretty damn quickly when my Dad decided he liked them too!

LCM said...

Saturday night and I ...oh crap. I am having a hard enough time convincing myself to go to sleep without that rolling around in my head. This post reminds of that song AM Radio.

softinthehead said...

No RC the way they piss us off nowadays is by pulling those earbuds out of their ears with a totally exasperated "whadyasay?"everytime we want to talk to them - that together with that "what now?" expression on their faces - go on I am sure you've been there -LOL :)

Cath said...

No fun at all!
Love the mag cover - I remember that so well. Rollers, Osmonds and Goodness Leif!! I forgot about him!

Your offspring are spoilsports.

Kim said...

Come on over to my house. Lovely daughter's bedroom shares a wall with the breakfast nook. She has a kick ass stereo, courtesy of her mother. Every damn morning, I wonder what the hell I was thinking!

My main teenage rebellion musical memory is playing Prince's "Purple Rain" at top volume to piss my mother off. She didn't so much as bat an eye at "Darling Nicki" . . . however, she decided that Michael Jackson was horrible because she heard "funky" on the "Thriller" album and thought it was something else. Go figure.

Amy said...

Looks like he got you after all. I detest those ear buds. I find I'm talking to myself half the time. At least when we were kids, headphones were gargantuan and there was no mistaking you were wearing them, if you had the guts.

Susan said...

If you want to download some of his music all you have to do is go to the computer where it is stored and put it on your ipod. You can hear it all right there, and blast it out of the speakers just like the good old days.

Beckie said...

Bay City Rollers - OMG - I haven't thought of them in years!!! LOL!

My daughter shares all of her music....all of the time.

Marti said...

I think the first 45 I brought home singing at the top of my lungs was Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"....The lyrics did not go so well at home. I think I remember the "you call that music? Do you know what they are talking about?" rant. LOL Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Right now, Lu listens to everything I did when I was a teenager so I get to enjoy his music. He is definitely and 'old rocker' in a teenage body (yes, he turned 13 yesterday)

Daryl said...

This morning the earlier bus I usually miss was later .. so I got on .. there was a young woman who was sharing her iPod with us... I am not sure she knew she was .. it was SO loud, I promise you she is likely deaf ... I wanted to ask her as she got off at her stop what the name of the group was since I had listened to this music for 15 min and I might want to buy it ...

:-Daryl

Irene said...

My son dared to be crazy about Pink Floyd, which is my favorite rock band ever. We used to sing the lyrics together very loud with the music cranked up in the car. We had no generation gap there.

Devon said...

If there are teens there will be rebellion. It just may look differently these days. I used to get a lot of eye rolling and 'whatever'.

Over the summer I put a ban on 'whatever' punishable by 48 hours without electronics of any kind.

It works for now. But like dinosaurs reproducing in Jurassic Park, I'm sure the rebellion will find a way to resurface soon.

Tiggerlane said...

Wanna borrow my kid? The music maven? She's the oppposite...constantly calling me into her room to hear a new tune. Or playing, "Guess who this is?" Or making me CDs to thump in the car...I am the hippest mom EVAH because of her influence! Then again, we have a music studio in our home...so she's been influenced since she was a wee thing.