Saturday, November 15, 2008

a quarter of the way there


Well, I've made it through the first two weeks of this running program I'm trying. It's gone well up to this point, but we're at the stage where it's about to get a lot harder. I've actually enjoyed this so far, but up to now, it's been mostly walking and then bursts of running. But next week it becomes evenly split, and then the week after that it kicks into mostly running. I'm a little concerned that this is the point where I flat out stall.


Usually, when I start something health related, I begin with a diet. When I've lost "enough" weight, I add in exercise. This time I did it completely backward, by starting the running first. I told myself I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I exercised. And oddly enough, I wanted to eat better just because I was already being so virtuous about the running. The better I eat, the better I feel. The better I feel, the more I want to stick with the program. All of a sudden, I'm back in Motivated-ville.


Hmmm. Maybe I'm on to something.

9 comments:

Jane said...

Hey, good for you!

Rudee said...

Good job RC. I'm almost motivated to get off the couch.

Maggie May said...

Keep going...... says she who sits and blogs!
Well..... I do walking!

Irene said...

If I run, parts of my body start to flop around, but I can walk very fast and ride my bike very well. Does that count? I think that if I were to run, my knees would collapse and I would be wheelchair bound forever. Sticking to the walking seems like a more sensible thing to do, in my case. Riding my bike without any gears is a real challenge when going up the numerous bridges, I swear a lot, but make it to the top. It's good for my thighs and my lungs. And my unspeakable heart that belongs to no one.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You can, no make that will do this. Beep, Beep. (couldn't resist).
XXXXXX

Cath said...

Definitely onto something. Keep going. You are AT LEAST half way there.
I might even try it - and that is saying something!

Devon said...

Awesome! I always start with exercise and then eat less because I don't want to waste the time I just exercised! I am one of those freaks who loves to run. Not on roads, only on dirt trails where there is no exhaust, I only run into the occasional horse and coyote.

Good luck on the next phase! I once trained for a marathon using a similar method... Jim Fixx's book on running. I enjoyed it until a week before the marathon when I ended up in the hospital with an idiopathic DVT. Totally unrelated to the running... I think!!!

-Ann said...

Well done. Sounds like you're going about the running in a good way. Best of luck with it!

Tiggerlane said...

Hey - and running releases endorphins, which is supposed to help you not fee pain!!

So, yeah! But the healthier you get, the more your sex drive increases...so...beware!