Monday, November 10, 2008

lullaby and good night



We got our butts handed to us at work today. I mean it was brutal. For the first time since we moved to our big, beautiful new unit last spring, we had beds in the hall, ambulances stacked up in the drive and the waiting room spilling out into the parking lot. My feet hurt, my head is pounding, my nerves are shot...and I have to do it all again tomorrow.


When I got home I did pretty much what I always do. I put on my pajamas. I loaded the dishwasher. I fed the dogs, hounded the boys to take showers (and then griped at Sasquatch to get out after he had been in for forty-five minutes. Ka-ching!), made myself a big cup of tea (Constant Comment tonight), ate an apple, crawled into bed and plugged in my laptop. And that's where I've stalled. The think tank is empty.


So because I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, I'd like to hear your after-work routines. What is it that makes you feel like your work day is over and it's finally time to kick back? For me it's three pronged. First the pajamas. Then I have to wash my face. Don't ask why, because I don't know. Then I need a drink. Sometimes a beer, sometimes a glass of wine, but more and more lately it's a cup of tea. I switch between Earl Grey, Constant Comment and decaf Chai. The combo of those three things switches me into sleep mode. And right about now, that feels pretty darned good.


How about you?

14 comments:

Altaglow said...

All of a sudden it's cold here tonight. A very cold wind is blowing and we have to flip from summer to almost winter overnight.The few native Californians I know are snarfing over the lack of sunshine and warmth. The rest of us are trying to remember where we came from and why it was so good there.and, the reasons we were happy have to do with color and change and nip and frost! The smell of woodsmoke is calming to all of us. Relax.

Altaglow said...

I forgot to say that I start the fire!

Faye said...

Before retiring it was: walk Willie while I still had bra on. Take bra off as soon as in the door from walk. Put on the biggest lounge pants and shirt I own--nothing touch body. Heat and eat dinner. Read paper and get mad over political coverage on MSNBC. Watch Dancing with Stars and go to bed.

Maggie May said...

I wash my hands!
Have a meal, watch the news. Masses of cups of tea.
Check blog/email/phone, shower & pyjamas & sit with a cosy blanket, more TV, knitting or reading. Blogging & bed.

-Ann said...

I don't really have anything that defined. I just like to have a chunk of time to do whatever I want. No responsibilities.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

My routine does change depending on the time of year but at the moment I get in, walk the hounds, get their dinners ready, fill the log basket, empty the ashes from the fire, feed the hounds, get my dinner cooking, empty the dishwasher and/or the washing machine and generally tidy up. Sitting down for dinner is my kick-back time. Until I have to get up again and load the dishwasher and try to get the hounds out for a last night pee!

softinthehead said...

When the dinner dishes are done, a cup of tea and a biscuit with feet up in front of telly probably with the laptop. I must say tea is my favourite tipple especially when alone, it never occurs to me to have a "drink" on my own!

aims said...

If you tell your boys that you know what they are doing in the shower - it will cut down on the water bill. They'll be in and out of there in record time simply from the shame of their mother knowing what they do with that soap.

Trust me on this RC.

Iota said...

One of the hard things about being a stay at home mom is that you don't get an after-work routine. I miss it. Come to think of it, you don't get an after-work anything. You're always at work.

Not complaining. Don't get me wrong. Just an observation.

Marti said...

Since I am a telecommuter, it is when I change into my 'at home' clothes. Depending on the weather it will consist of sports shorts, t-shirts or warm up pants.

In order to get that 'unwind' feeeling, I need to transistion into my relaxing clothes. If I had them on all day, I dont think I would get my work done.

Jen said...

First thing, shoes and socks off, because I hate having things on my feet. Then I nurse the baby. Change into sweats or PJs Then maybe I get to eat. Maybe. I should really weigh a lot less by now.

Akelamalu said...

I make the evening meal then settle down with the laptop to catch up on my blogging.

Cath said...

Slippers on. Nightshirt and dressing gown. cup of tea.

Similar then. ;0)

Tiggerlane said...

I have to have a take a few moments and watch some CNN in the recliner...and eat a few Jordan almonds...