Friday, August 10, 2007

Blog Bites Butt


To say that I've been technologically challenged the last few days sums it up pretty well. The key word here is "challenged", because, up to this point anyway, I've come out on top. Eventually. The computer hasn't actually crashed, it's just being very temperamental. The Mac, our backup computer, has developed some strange personality disorder, and without its meds pretty much does what it wants to do . What it wants to do bears no resemblance to what I need it to do. Last night one of my best friends emailed to tell me my blog was down. Luckily it was back up fast. Then the wireless connect wasn't plugged in all the way and we couldn't get online. The dishwasher is making odd noises and all the phones in the house have this funky static thing going on. It's enough to make me consider an Amish lifestyle. Briefly. Thank god my kids are techno nerds.


This all reminds me of the year the Film Geek went away to teach and I stayed in LA with the kids. In the time he was gone virtually every piece of electronics we owned went down the crapper. It started with the computer and moved through kitchen appliances and VCRs. Next came my car. Then came the television set. There was something else big but I've blocked it. Absolutely on purpose. (There were other things too, like backed up plumbing and meningitis, but for now I'll stick to techno stuff).


The low point was the night I was woken up by an ungodly screech in my kitchen. The closer I got the louder it became. It seemed to be coming from the fridge, but I couldn't figure out why. Then it started flapping, so help me. I considered a poltergeist with an off sense of humor, but we lived in a 1960's ranch, and who ever heard of a ghost in a ranch? (Now that we live in an 1880's Victorian I've decided that our family is just not the ghost type, as the decibel level in my house can give commercial aircraft a run for it's money. Even poltergeists need to be able to hear themselves think occasionally).


Barring any other options I unplugged the fridge and the noise stopped instantly. I hazarded a hope that the damned thing wasn't going to explode on me and went back to bed. The next day when the repair guy got there he moved the fridge out from the wall and within about three seconds pulled out a piece of paper that had slid off the top and gotten half sucked into a fan or something. Problem solved. I can't recall exactly how much that little adventure cost me, but I do remember thinking that I could feel like a fool for free.


The funny thing is that even if my husband were home he wouldn't have been able to fix a quarter of these things. We'd still have had to have someone else come out and do it for us. For a price, of course. It's just that it's good to have moral support when the TV is on the fritz and three little Power Ranger hungry rugrats are in withdrawal and attacking their stuffed Barneys in a rage. It would have been nice to not creep into a dark, screaming kitchen alone. It would have been nice to have someone else who didn't see the damned paper either.


I'll manage just fine. As long as the computer works.


I think I'll go light some incense. Just to hedge my bets.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you know it or not, but the reason you're having trouble with your blog loading load is because of a virus (d5d1.com).

I noticed something strange earlier today when I was here. It happened on both yours and Jen's blogs, so I did some research. It delays, or in some cases halts, blogs trying to load.

Apparently it originated from Myspace and is transmitted through comments.

Pam said...

my computer is a bit wonky, too...maybe myspace did it. everytime i load up myspace it eventually ends up freezing up. my quicktime won't work n i can't see some videos and such (anyone have clues on how to fix it?) :( i'm at my wits end *pulling out hair* lol oh yeah, my phone is static, too, PLUS i have phone issues with my palm treo. i love technology, but i don't think it loves me lol

Flowerpot said...

I am the least technical person in the world so can sympathise! Hope the virus doesn't spread...

the rotten correspondent said...

okay, I'm kind of glad I'm not alone, but sorry others are in this mess too.

Willowtree, I noticed that Jen's page was loading really slowly too. Do you have any idea if anything can be done about this? People viruses I'm good on - computers not so much.

ciara - is yours still doing it? I agree, technology doesn't like me as much as I like it.

flowerpot - keep 'em crossed, pretty please!

Jen said...

Okay, RC, your blog loaded fine this morning, and the problem appeared widespread across Blogger yesterday. I put a link up on my site and there's some info on it from Google forums, too. My blog is now clean for the time being, anyway. I wonder if the Blogger folks took care of the issue...

BTW, ciara, Myspace is absolutely rife with viruses, we finally had to block it at work, even though one of the stations has a Myspace page!

laurie said...

i love the screaming and flapping refrigerator. why do they only do things like that at midnight, i wonder?

Susan said...

Ok, by the time I got on and commented last night, you already had another post up. Geez, I am the techno inept one around here!

That phone static thing is SO annoying. It has been going on here for months. At first I thought it was just the phone since it has been dropped a few too many times, so I bought a new phone which promised clarity on the package. No luck. Then I noticed it was not just the cordless, but the old-fashioned plugged into the wall phone as well, so I called my provider (used to be called the phone company, but that seems to be old-fashioned now, too). Here's the funny thing: The customer service representative (use to be called the operator) asked if we had had a lot of rain recently because that can cause static in the line! That is funny if you live here. Rain? Well, it has been a few years, so, NO, I don't think that is the problem. If lines get all crackly because they dry out, then yes. He did all sorts of things from where he was, but they didn't work and sent out a technician who said everything was fine. Of course this person never came in and tried to have a conversation on my phone or they would have known everything is NOT fine.

I am OFF today!!!!! After I have my car smogged, maybe I'll call the phone company again and see if I can't get the static cleared up once and for all. If I have any luck, I'll let you know.

Akelamalu said...

I'm dreading the computer getting a virus - I'm not sure I have the right medicine in the cupboard! :(

Jo Beaufoix said...

Ahh RC I am also a technophobe.

I once blew up a toaster with veggie burgers.

That was the toaster's fault, right??

Hope the incense worked.

I need some today.

I'm missing my blog.
I have a spotty.
Miss E has a temp of 39 and it's her 7th birthday this weekend so I need her to get well, and I have a sun burned head.

Sighhhhhhh

Jo Beaufoix said...

Oh my Lord, so glad I read that comment back or you'd all be wondering what a spotty was.

CHIN, I have a spotty chin.

See, technophobe, hormonal eejit, that's me.

the rotten correspondent said...

Okay, thanks to willowtree and jen (and Sasquatch) I do believe my bad blog bug is gone. Thanks so much to you both for the heads up and the info.

laurie - why does everything happen at night?? I've never been able to figure it out.

my two cents - well, I was so wired after your email that I had to do something!

akelamalu - the right medicine is a hammer. Right in the hard drive.

jo - I'm impressed with the veggie burger/toaster mishap. I haven't done that, but did accidentally put one in the microwave for 15 minutes instead of 5. Not good. When do you think your blog will be back up? I MISS YOU, oh spotty one.

Pam said...

i load your blog just fine...just can't see anything that uses quicktime which is most videos grrrr lol

Diana said...

In our old house, we had slowly worsening static phone problems, but when they sent a guy out, found it was squirrel damage to the lines, so guess that's not the problem. Pity.

We can't run the microwave when anyone's on the phone or it sets off the banshee in the line and you can't hear a thing except really angry static.

Personally, I'm glad the fridge was just some paper in the fan, expensive, yes, but not as bad as 'parts and lots of labor' or the services of a priest that does exorcisms.

Glad your blog is back and happy, now.