Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Thursday Three


I have some talents. Really, I do. I can make a mean homemade pizza crust, start an IV almost with my eyes closed and am able, with no hints whatsoever, to tell which drawer in my kid's room is the one hiding the remains of last night's before bed snack. I can monitor homework from three rooms away, beat almost anyone at Scrabble and know intuitively when the dog's water dishes are empty. I'm not a total loser. But...

I also have some talents that I'm not so proud of. Talents that don't really advance me in the game of life, if you get my drift. I call them my useless talents. If it makes you feel any better you can call them skills. Useless skills. And I believe we all have them. Maybe you can curl your tongue. Perhaps you can do world-class armpit farts. Maybe belch the alphabet. None of these are really imperative to survival. What are your useless talents? Are you tough enough to admit it?


Totally Useless Talents


#1. Birthday Recall. If I hear your birthday once, just once, I will
remember it for the rest of my life. Truly. I have absolute birthday recall. You might think this would be a useful talent. It certainly should be. Unfortunately, even though I remember someone's birthday, I never remember to do anything about it. I may say, "Oh wow, it's Cleopatra's birthday today", but do I remember a card? Do I call? Let's not even get into the present aspect. So, I remember it but forget to do anything about it which makes me feel terrible so I'd be better off not remembering it in the first place because if I forgot it entirely it might just be better.
Ya know what I'm sayin'?



#2. Impeccable Internal Clock. I can tell you within ten minutes what time it is at any given time. Without looking at a timepiece of any kind. If I wake up in the middle of the night I know what time it is before I look at the clock. I don't need the clock in my car, because I already know what time it is. I'm always on time, usually early, because not only is this internal clock embedded in me, but it's loud and obnoxious about the need to be timely. I am a human alarm clock.

Back in the days before wristwatches and cell phones that tell time in twelve different time zones, this could have been a kick-butt talent. But who needs it now? I always wear a watch, so I have basically made my own talent obsolete.

The funny thing is that I have absolutely no sense of direction whatsoever. Absolutely none. What. So. Ever. I cannot stress this enough. I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag in my own bedroom under a voice activated halogen light giving me GPS instructions. I would be so happy to trade some of this time talent for something I could use, like the ability to find the grocery store. You can't buy a watch for directions.




#3. Tidy Toes. I can pick up anything with my toes. Anything. Pencils, dirty dish towels, errant dog kibble, skanky underwear on the floor, you name it. I can pick it up. My nickname growing up was monkey toes, because my toes are disgustingly long compared to what they should be. This is another thing that could be a blessing in disguise, but isn't. Because first, I have two perfectly good hands to pick things up and second, now I have a complex about my toes.

And a strange desire for bananas.


You see these toes? Not even close. I could possibly palm a basketball with my toes. Reach a full octave on the piano with my toes. Swing from a tree in the jungle with my toes. Without. A. Problem.

Sigh.

Your turn.

25 comments:

la bellina mammina said...

LOL about your toes! Nice pic though! And for you to remember a birthday JUST ONCE (once you hear it) WOW, now THAT's a talent! :-)

Kim said...

Let's see . . . totally useless talents. I have this uncanny ability to retain completely pointless, worthless bits of knowledge in my head and recall them at will. For instance, I know the name of Sir Francis Drake's ship without looking it up (The Golden Hind). And that mini schnauzers were arrived at by mixing affenpinschers and poodles and standard schnauzers. And zebras have striped skin under their striped fur. And they're biters. I know the names of every character in "East of Eden" and that Cary Grant was born Archibald Leach. I could go on and on and on.

The only time any of it is useful is during Trivial Pursuit. I don't spend a whole lot of time playing Trivial Pursuit. By the way, trivia means unimportant in Latin. See what I mean?

Pam said...

r.c.-my bday is nov 4th and i EXPECT u to remember to DO something bout it lol jk and yikes to the toes..funny tho, my youngest can pick up stuff w hers and even walk on them bent up (which looks extremely painful), but hers aren't long. but me....feet are just NOT a good thing. there aren't many feet in this world that i like. most of the ones i do belong to my kids. i even hate my feet/toes lol

i'm so directionally challenged that i tried to go home to livermore from fremont, but went the wrong way and ended up in san jose. steve tried to call me cuz i should've been home bout an hour b4 i got home, but i didn't answer. he went out looking for me. the reason i didn't answer was because i KNEW he would say something bout me getting lost. he was a wee bit pissed at me. lol

Em said...

Are you my twin? I also have all three of those talents - the first one extends to almost any date although when I'm stressed my recall suffers slightly. I usually know what time it is to within 15 minutes, and my sense of direction is so bad that I can get disoriented in a strange town by just walking in and out of a shop. I'm a very very good map reader though!! And I have stupidly long toes with which I can pick up lots of stuff. They are also hairy.. Like Kaycie I also have a brain full of useless knowledge... :D

Flowerpot said...

Amazing toes - straight and wonderful. I'm jealous!

laurie said...

october 25

Jo Beaufoix said...

I too have the toe talent.

And my internal clock's pretty good, but memory for dates, noooooooooo.

I do have a good memory for mobile phone numbers though.

Hmm, what else...

I can roll my tongue, I can wiggle my ears a little, I can do a very good impression of a crying baby without really opening my mouth...

All kind of useless really, I'm sure there are more but my memory is appalling.

Ah well.

Amy said...

Why do you wear a watch?

My three useless talents: I can pop almost any joint at will. I can stick my tongue up my nose. I can cross my eyes, but then move one eye back and forth while the other stays in the corner of my eye.

Akelamalu said...

Those are not useless talents! You are talented! Me - I can't do anything!

Jen said...

I think you are very brave to post a picture of your feet. I think my feet look hideous, and not just because of the five inch scar down one of them. I just have funky toes. As for useless talents:


1. Song Lyrics. If I hear a song once, at most twice, I will remember it. This sucks, though, because then I can't get rid of them, and the last thing I need in my life is a soundtrack that sounds like "Funky Town".

2. I have a head for trivia. Which would be great if I ever went on Jeopardy, but being in front of a camera makes me cringe. So I just have to bore people with all of the useless things I know.

3. I can bend either of my arms behind my back and tug on my hair. It's great that I've got bendy arms. But it still doesn't help me hook my bra properly.

code: mhrwtc = My hour watch. I think it's trying to tell you something about your gift of time telling!

laurie said...

ok, i thought of one: i can order beer in many languages.

cerveza
olut
pivo
biere
guinness

(ok the last one is cheating)

i need two more? yikes.

the rotten correspondent said...

This is what happens when you take a nap after sending the kids off to school. I'm late for my own party!

General disclaimer to all - that isn't a picture of my toes. It's a google image pic. If it had been my toes you would have had difficulty commenting as you would have all turned to stone.

bella - my toes are frightful.truly.

kaycie - my husband is a trivia hound too. he can't tell you what day of the week it is,but he kicks my butt at Trivial Pursuit.

ciara - I will remember your birthday, but remember the second part of it...even though I remember it I forget to do anything about it! Your sense of direction sounds like mine. If we're driving anywhere and I tell my husband to turn one way he automatically goes the other way. And we get there just fine.

em - Welcome! Thanks for stopping by. We could be twins, now that you mention it because my toes are also hairy. And crooked. And lumpy. I'm grossing myself out.

flowerpot - I wish.

laurie - duly noted.

jo - the crying baby thing sounds quite interesting. You could really mess with people with that one!

amy - oooh...crossed eye tricks. Cool. I wear a watch because I'm paranoid that this will be the one time my sense of time fails me. But I only wear it at work.

akelamalu - sure you can. I know you have talents up the wazoo. Or somewhere!

jen - FG is the same way with song lyrics. So are his mom and sisters. And they all kick my butt at Trivial Pursuit. My toes are appalling. No scar though, just fugly.

the rotten correspondent said...

laurie - you can do it. i have faith!

Beth said...

Well, I know way too many words to get on in life. My vocabulary runneth over for no reason at all. Phone numbers, no go. Math in my head - not in this lifetime. But useless words are my specialty. I can also memorize large blocks of printed text after only 2 readings. This is how I got through college. I didn't really learn stuff. I just read the books, and at test time I could visualize the paragraph and sentence with the answer in it. It was useful in college, but not so useful now. Except I can recite big hunks of poetry like Tom Hanks' character in The Ladykillers. Oh, and I can do the toe thing. And no one will ever see a photo of my toes. Ever.

the rotten correspondent said...

Pixel Pi - a photographic memory is a nice thing to have, isn't it? I guess asking for a photographic memory WITH comprehension is asking too much. I don't have either. Sadly.

In a slightly frightening way it's good to know that I don't have the only horrible toes out there. Does anyone reading this LIKE their toes?

Kim said...

My husband and kids always tell me my hands and feet are pretty. Maybe the hands, but I just can't agree with the feet. I don't think anyone likes their own toes.

Mya said...

1. I can do a really convincing impression of a tapir (by sucking my cheeks in and sticking my top lip out and wiggling it). It's a totally useless talent - I don't get to bump in to that many tapirs.

2. I can play the theme tune to Match of the Day (English football TV programme) by slapping my cheeks (face not butt.)

3. I have a good sense of smell and am very good at identifying what scent a person is wearing. RC, you for example, are wearing Miss Dior today (if I've got that right, which I'm sure I haven't, that would be extremely freaky!)

Mya x

CamiKaos said...

that internal clock could come in very very handy...

Having toes that can pick up anything myself I understand how very useless that talent is.

the rotten correspondent said...

kaycie- no one in my entire life has told me my toes were pretty. No one.

mya- perhaps the tapir is wearing miss dior, but not me. your streak is safe. I'd like to see that tapir impersonation actually. Maybe you should tape it and post it. ;)

camikaos - thanks for stopping by! the internal clock does come in quite useful sometimes. the toes...not so much.

laurie said...

kaycie, you have pretty feet? really? my husband makes fun of my hockey legs. as well he should, except he runs the risk of me then kicking him into a coma.

ok, i thought of two more totally useless skills, RC. in addition to being able to order beer in multiple languages, i can:

2) bend just the top joint on most of my fingers (creeps out small children, believe me)

and (3) wiggle my ears.
sorry they're so lame. my useful talents are pretty damn lame, too.

Diana said...

Now you SAY that the toe talent is useless as you have hands, but wait: some day you will throw your back out and be unable to flex forward more than 10 degrees past midline. You will rejoice in your toes rising to the occasion, picking up that dropped $20 bill that you don't have to just walk away and leave. Plus, if you can open doors with your toes, you can get in and out of rooms with your arms loaded with crap. Fewer trips.

(Can you tell I have monkey toes, too, just not as impressive as yours are.) I can also raise one eyebrow after the other in very rapid succession. Worthless but a good party trick. I can also do a passable Yoda impression (and, consequently a passable Grover impression).

the rotten correspondent said...

laurie - I think being able to creep out small children is worth it's weight in gold. Although you had me with being able to order beer in different languages.

diana - you have a point about the toes, however, everytime I've ever hurt my back I've had a terrible time even moving my toes. Ouch.Yoda, eh. Hmmmm....

Pam said...

r.c.-only two ppl in my whole entire life told me my short stubby little toes were 'cute' and i married those two ppl lmao i remember my x saying once that he couldn't believe that he said my toes were cute...maybe it was because he was in love. the arse! lol

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I'm really good at rolling my Rs (great for Spanish). I can do the toe thing, too, and I have the internal body clock as well. Other talents? I can shrink clothes in the dryer really well (I'm reaching now).

Akelamalu said...

I can stick the iron to anything I'm ironing - does that count? :/