Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Touchstones

There's one in every family and my family is no exception. One person is the emotional stabilizer, the one who pulls rabbits out of their hat and keeps everything going, the one who listens to everyone and solves everyone else's problems or goes down trying. This is the person who has their nervous breakdowns in private so no one else freaks out. The person who everyone else feels secure enough with to totally unload on. One person is always the touchstone.

That person is me.


And right about now I'm going down.


Maybe I need a good nights sleep. Maybe I need the weather to drop below 150 degrees. Possibly I need a bottle of Chardonnay, a bowl of pesto (and a spoon) and every Hugh Grant film I can dig up. I might try it, with a few exceptions. First off I have no wine, so I'll substitute lemonade. There' s not a drop of pesto in the house so I'll swap for some gorgeous farmer's market tomatoes with a hunk of fresh mozzarella. There is no substitute for Hugh Grant, so that part gets left alone. It's a crucial part in my recovery and I'm not taking any chances.


Maybe I just need to have a minute to myself to sort things out. There's a lot going on...



The Film Geek's shoot is not going well. This is unsurprising for several reasons, but still a problem. The shoot got pushed back several weeks to accomodate an actor and in the process inconvenienced absolutely everyone else. The new semester started today, so he's trying to work fourteen hour days (on an open prairie in the heat) and somehow get his students up to speed at the same time. One of the guys on his crew is trying to undermine his position just to be a shit. Their schedule keeps changing, thanks to the same actor. The in town and location shooting just got flip flopped, so all the days I arranged to work while he had days off are now moot and I am without child care while he is out of town. Sasquatch has done a good job for me lately, but I'm just not confident of the dynamics of leaving an older dictatorial brother in charge for a twelve hour shift.



FG's exhausted, hot, feeling underappreciated and overworked. Feeling like he's only giving half of himself to each of the two jobs he's now trying to juggle. He takes his students very seriously, but this feature is a big deal professionally. If this goes well an even bigger project will follow. And we could really use the money. We don't call this house The Money Pit for nothing. His stress level is palpable and we are two weeks into a six week shoot. He feels like he can't breath and he says his chest hurts. Yesterday he just snapped and told me he was walking away from the film. This is a first. In twenty years the man has not ever walked away from a job, even when he should have. For an hour in the car on the way to the set he examined all the angles, all the reasons he should throw in the towel. I was driving him basically to be a good wife and also to give him a chance to vent. He ranted and raged and for one awful moment I thought he was going to cry. And then, I knew this was coming, he said, "What do you think I should do?"



Now we all know there is no right answer for this, so I pointed out the pros, cons and possible repercussions of each side of the fence. I never mentioned the words money or heart attack. I told him that ultimately he was the one who would have to live with his choice, so it stood to reason it shoud be his decision. As I dropped him off I crossed my fingers that he could live with whatever he decided. It was all I could really do.



Next up is Sasquatch who is having a semi-stressful entrance to High School. Believe me when I say that it could be worse, but it's still tricky. He can't sleep at night so the mornings are pure hell. He's disorganized and defiant about it, so something as simple as carrying a backpack becomes a power struggle. He simply cannot understand why I want him to have all of his stuff together and contained. Because he's so tired he's particularly short tempered, especially with me. I'm his safety zone, you see, the person who gets to experience all of his teenage glory. The homework level has really been kicked up as well, so he's feeling some pressure himself.



I was preoccupied with the Film Geek and wondering what the final outcome would be when Sasquatch came into the room to tell me that he had just realized that he had left tonight's homework at school. When I asked how that happened he got furious and accused me of "attacking" him. This is his favorite spiel. When I ask him a question I'm "attacking" him. When he goes balllistic on me he's "explaining" himself. Evidently there's a difference somehow. He raged at me that I never listen to a word he says and that he's tired of me always being "the victim". Then he slammed into his room.



Imagine a sitcom where when one character exits from one door another enters from the other side. Exit Sasquatch, enter Gumby, who has just realized that one of his pet rats has a lump on it's back. As I was walking into the room to look, I pointed out that this rat is over two years old and that we might need to keep that in mind. At that point he collapsed in tears and hysterically started making lists of all the things we needed to do to keep the rat alive. This list thing is evidently genetic.He had heard Sasquatch yelling at me, so he pulled himself together quickly so as not to upset me. This, of course, upset me more. Just because your brother is a teenage drama queen doesn't mean that your feelings aren't legitimate. I held him and he cried and then we plotted out Operation Rat Rescue. He went back into his room to try to go to sleep.



Cue sitcom timing. The phone rang and it was my husband telling me that he and the director had had a come to jesus talk and he was staying on the film. They basically told him to do whatever he needed to do about teaching and they would work around him. They told him they had his back. The guy giving him so much grief will be looking for a new job very shortly unless things change fast. He sounded calm. He sounded relieved. He sounded tired. Nothing hurt. He was on his way home for the night. And tomorrow he'd go back.



Every unpleasant day in my life has some surreal element in it, just a little drop kick to keep you awake. Mine was supplied by Surfer Dude, who had to appear in our little soap opera somehow. He's all fired up for this next Kid's Top Chef competition he's planning and keeps fiddling with things in the kitchen as he prepares. (This event is weeks away, BTW). Whenever I walked into my kitchen there was a pile of all different kinds of peppers and jars of spices artistically stacked up. Except the position kept changing. First it was on the table. Then it was piled on the counter. It made its final appearance on the island before I said if he didn't put the peppers away I would feed him nothing but Pop Tarts until he went away to college. Foodies evidently don't eat Pop Tarts, even ten year old foodies, because the pepper pastiche went away.



So I sat on the computer (writing this) and felt absolutely drained. I could really use just one day where people take their problems elsewhere. Let someone else be the touchstone for a change.Usually I call a friend and vent. Last night it was just me and the keyboard, practicing the ancient art of internet venting. Some might even call it whining. Hell, I might even call it whining. Still...


I'm feeling better. Maybe I don't need Hugh after all.


But why take chances?

16 comments:

Altaglow said...

dear, our chick flick nights with Hugh on top...."Four Weddings and a Funeral", "Nottinghill", "Love Actually", "About a boy"--such lovely little romantic pieces. I really hate the fact that High got caught with the prostitute in West Hollywood. Although that still didn't wreck the wonderful chickineess and feel-goodness of most of his movies.

Life is what happens while we wish that it could be the simplistic lines of any of the above movies.
Let's keep that feeling alive as long as we can. Love--

Altaglow said...

I have reread this blog and realized that my firsrtcomment is completely inappropriate. I'll try to make this up late on.

Pam said...

don't u just HATE being the one that everyone comes to w all their probs? and my, oh, my, a male teenage drama queen? will wonders never cease? lol i wished a lived a tad bit closer cuz i could've at least let you borrow my 'hughy' lol i have notting hill, love actually, two weeks notice, bridget jones's diary...and to be honest, i don't think he likes getting a bit dusty in the dvd container. tho i really do keep him stylish in red faux leather lmao

btw...it's good to vent. sometimes just to scream to the top of your lungs! hey, is venting the same as whining? cuz maybe i'm guilty once in awhile as well

Mya said...

Vent on. I don't mind. You're not whining. You're expressing yourself. By the end of your post, in writing it all down, committing it to cyber-space - it's clear to me that in all that chaos, with all that shit flying around, some kind of order is achieved. A perspective is arrived at. You've got three demanding boys, your husband is busy and stressed - whether they intend to or not,they all dump on you - who are you going to dump on? If it makes you feel better (which I'm sure it will) - write about it, air those grievances girl!

Take care.

Mya x

Flowerpot said...

That's not a whine - hell you need it! Am sending virtual Hugh G attached to this comment, plus signed copies of 4 Weddings, Notting Hill and Love Actually. Plus two crates of Chardonnay. Take care. Go scream somewhere!

Beth said...

Oh dear. How I identify on several different levels. I can definitely upload (virtually) my two Hugh's "Love Actually" and "Sense and Sensibility." I love that Emma Thompson weeps over Hugh Grant. Glad you got that off you chest. I only have a spouse and 3 cats, and yet I identify. Also, another good tactic is to always have a nice white wine in the fridge just to look at once in a while. I'm a nondrinker bit still have one. It's so old it's probably vinegar but just seeing it's frosty Pinot Grigio-ness helps.

laurie said...

i could not do what you do. no way. i read this and smiled through it because you make it so entertaining and wryly funny, in a way, even though i can see your exhaustion so clearly. and i could see everyone else's point of view, too. (this makes you a genius writer, by the way.)

it reminded me of growing up in a house with 9 siblings, where drama queens raged in every room, though my mother was nowhere near as calm as you are.

glad things are looking better for FG, and i hope the rat somehow pulls through. (you can always use the old "it somehow escaped! i don't know where it is!" routine, which my sister used when her 8-year-old son's dog died.)

good luck, and while chardonnay has healing powers, i recommend a nice Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc. i think you need the astringency.

the rotten correspondent said...

altaglow - a chick flick night is never inappropriate.

ciara- did you say Hugh in red leather? I have to go lie down for a bit.

mya - so here's the big question knowing how you feel about Hugh. Does Rickie Lee Jones make up for this little lapse of mine in the taste stakes??

flowerpot - I'll be waiting on the porch for that goodie box. For as long as it takes!!

pixel pi - You have to believe me when I tell you that wine never gets a chance to turn to vinegar in my house. I'm impressed with your resolve!

laurie - NINE siblings? Sweet Jesus, I would jump off a cliff. My kids would differ with you on my calm level, trust me! And thanks for saying such very nice things about my writing. You're too kind.

To all of you - reading your comments this morning actually made me tear up a bit. You are all sweethearts to lend an ear and be so supportive. I can't tell you how much that means. There really is something to this whole blog therapy business! I am feeling a lot better today and ready to take on the world again. I will buy some wine though - just in case.

Bring it on...

Diana said...

Absolutely vent. You know how theraputic it is. (And the tales really are terribly funny. Drama Queens are so much fun to read about, even if they are so very trying in person.)

Jen said...

Late to the party...

Echoing what some other folks have said, you may be the go to person, but we are your go-to people through your blog. It's a wonderful thing to be able to get all of it out, and know that there are a great group of people whom you've never met to give you a big thumbs up and a virtual hug. I suppose in writing it down, you get it outside of yourself, and it's easier to let it go.

Code word: lidut

Which I guess means I should shut up now! *grin*

Anonymous said...

Post #150 tomorrow!

Akelamalu said...

Scream at the top of your lungs, down a bottle of Chardonnay, eat some chocolate, fantasise about Hugh - you deserve it honey!

Swearing Mother said...

Well, Rotten Correspondent, I've had a helluva day at work, but reading your post made me remember some of those days I've had at home too!

Drama seems to attract more drama, bad stuff doesn't just happen in threes, it travels in packs doesn't it? Life goes along, sometimes fraught, sometimes a little bit mundane then WHOOSH,when you're least expecting it, every goddamn thing that can go wrong does, all at the same time and the jet of cr*p always seems to be pointing in one direction - ours!

I suppose we should feel pleased if we've got what it takes to make people feel better, but sometimes it's just nice to lean, every so occasionally, on someone else's broad shoulders. But it's not a job easy to hand over because we are so good at it (all the practice!).

When I'm going through times like you are at the moment the phrase "drowning, not waving" comes to mind, and I always know it's me that will have to find a way of letting it all out so that I can stay afloat for everyone else. I usually resort to taking a bit of time out, going somewhere a bit spiritual (in my case Lichfield Cathedral) or somewhere I can just breathe out again, even if it's only a solitary walk up the back garden or a few minutes' yoga.

Deep breath in, count to four, let it out slowly. You are doing a great job.

Sending you soothing vibes and best wishes.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Ahh RC I'm late to the party too but sending you big hugs sweetie.
I agree totally with what everyone has said.

I hope I'm as good as dealing with the drama juggling as you are when my two get older.

Glad FG has sorted stuff out as it takes a bit of pressure off you.
Sasquatch will be ok. Surfer Dude will have to make you a fresh batch of pesto, and in all the stress you found time to really listen to and take care of gumby.
I hope his rat is ok. If not, when he gets a new one you could name him Hugh, then atleast you can get a cuddle.

Now. Put your feet up. Drink wine and get FG to massage your feet.
You deserve it.
x

Iota said...

Chocolate. You don't mention chocolate. Why would anyone make do with pesto as a stress-reliever when the Good Lord invented chocolate?

And I wonder if you shouldn't set your sights a little higher than Hugh Grant... Is it the English accent, or the floppy hair, or what? If it's the "I'm a lost little boy and I need someone to mother me" appeal, might I suggest that you've got enough boys to mother in your own life already. How about some of those hunks whose pics you put on your blog a few weeks ago? I think there's much more therapy there for you.

You'll get through.

the rotten correspondent said...

diana - I find drama queens exhausting, especially the one's I gave birth to.

jen - sign me up for that whole virtual hug idea. I think you have something there.

anonymous - I got an anonymous comment?! Well, isn't that interesting...

akelamalu - I think I just might!

swearing mother - thanks for coming by! Sorry about your crappy day, but I do appreciate the soothing vibes. We can never have enough of those, can we?

jo - the rat is hanging in there after an evening of serious rat rescue. I guess I could name a new rat Hugh, but then I'd need a whole new fantasy.

iota - so nice to have you back! You're right, I completely forgot chocolate. What was I thinking? Was I thinking at all??

I don't know what the Hugh attraction is, honest to god. I can't explain it, it's just there. Oh god. Have I no taste?? Now I really need chocolate.

I think it's time for another pin up version of the Thursday 3...