Sunday, August 12, 2007

You've gotta love HMOs














I just finished my recertification in ACLS, Advanced Cardiac Life Support. This is basically emergency cardiovascular care - to be used in worst case scenarios only.


The basic set-up is this: You follow your ABCs (airway, breathing and circulation), fixing problems as you go (if you can) and attempting to keep blood flowing while someone else is drawing up meds and starting IVs and getting the defibrilator charged up.


This is the format -


If you encounter someone down you shake them to see if they're alert...


"Annie, Annie, can you hear me?"


...then you holler for someone to call for help


and then you start your process...


A) Airway. Make sure it's open. If not get it open somehow. Position them to maximize airflow.

B) Breathing. Extend neck if necessary.Give rescue breaths before starting CPR.

C) Circulation. Check for a pulse. Chest compressions, 100 a minute, giving two rescue breaths after each 30 compressions.


Short, sweet and to the point. But as anyone who has had anything to do with the American healthcare system lately can attest, the HMOs have screwed everything up. Not just for the patients, but also for the doctors and the nurses and the social workers and the mental health screeners and so on and so on. It all comes down to the almighty dollar, and if the care itself falls through the cracks so be it. For the most part, people in medicine don't think much of HMOs.


So it should come as no surprise that some disgruntled medical type (not me this time) came up with the HMO version of ACLS...


Advanced Cash Liability Survey


A. 1) Attorney
2) Airway

B. 1) Bank Account
2) Billing
3) Breathing


C. 1) Cash on Hand
2) Checking Account
3) Credit Cards
4) Court Date
5) Circulation


If an unconscious patient is encountered, follow the sequence below:

1) Shake patient and ask: "Annie, Annie, are you insured?"

2) If no response, position patient to open pockets. (Listen for loose change while positioning patient)

3) Extend neck. Open mouth and look for gold fillings. ( If time allows, check airway.)

4) Palpate neck for gold chains and necklaces. Note: Carotid pulse may be an incidental finding.

5) Palpate pocket for wallet. (Tell bystanders you are checking for femoral pulse.)

6) If insured, call for help immediately.

7) If uninsured consult your policy manual.

8) Traditional CPR is optional at this point.

9) If no response to CPR, proceed to ACLS


Any questions?

9 comments:

Pam said...

lmao...oh my. as a person who is not a big fan of HMOs especially Kaiser, I can relate. I have had my own battles. I even have the denial letter to prove it! lol

Akelamalu said...

So funny, but unfortunately so TRUE!

the rotten correspondent said...

ciara - we had Kaiser forever before we moved here from California. Aren't they something??

akelamalu - whoever said the truth can't hurt you isn't familiar with HMOs!

Jen said...

I've been fairly lucky with health insurance while I've had it. With my first pregnancy we had full coverage from UHC, and we didn't pay a dime. UHC has changed, and now...well, it's changed. I like the list. As akelamalu says, funny, but so so unfortunately true!.

Susan said...

The referral is what gets me.

Hello? Mrs. Smith? What's that you say?...Your husband isn't breathing and the paramedics are there?...Well you'll need a referral for that...Yes before they can treat him you'll need a referral...Let's see...hmmm...I have an appointment open four weeks from Tuesday...Yes that's right four weeks from Tuesday...No, sorry nothing sooner...Yes, you'll have to bring your husband in then and if he still isn't breathing we'll give him a referral for the paramedics to treat him then...Yes, it will take the customary two weeks after the appointment to receive the referral in the mail...Ok, well let me know if you change your mind, but if you call back later that appointment may not still be available.

Just take my gold filling and get my husband breathing again is what I would say.

laurie said...

if only i thought you were kidding...

Pam said...

lmao two cents-yep, that bout sums it up.

yeah, they're something alright, r.c. i will say i have two good docs thru the system...my ob/gyn and girls' pediatrician, but PCPs...forget about it!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Funny but scary.

We don't get this in the UK in that we have the National Health Service, but we do seem to have a real problem with MRSAs, so although we can get in, we may not come out quite so quickly.

My blog should be back soon. Ashley said the end of the week (which it is) so every day I hope it's there but it's not. It's getting me down, but Iknow one day I will wake up and see my Ostrich flashing her eyelashes at me.

P.S. Mr B is not an Ostrich.

Diana said...

Sad but true. I'm so glad I no longer practice on the West Coast where HMOs are what covered most of my patients.

(Ug. My ACLS is due this fall. Bleh.)