Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Thursday Three


Grab some kleenex and pull up a seat. Today the topic is...
Songs That Make You Cry
Maybe not every time you hear them, but enough that you say "uh-oh" whenever you hear the opening notes. Will this be the day you sail through dry-eyed? These three, for me, never give me that luxury. I cry every time. Sigh. And truly, is there much that is more subjective than music?
I didn't think so.
#1. Company, Rickie Lee Jones. I'm well aware that most people don't even know who she is, but if you can dig this song up online, it's a heartbreaker. And if you've never listened to her, she's absolutely amazing. Or was. I don't think she's done a lot lately. This is a breakup song of gut wrenching quality and it always makes me choke up. I also think (caution: weirdness ahead) of this as something with a vaguely funeralesque tone to it. Like "The Dance" by Garth Brooks, which I hear is a big song to play at funerals, this one could, with a small stretch, work too. For someone you really, really love. Gulp.
#2. 100 Years, Five For Fighting. I'm a sucker for age span songs anyway, but the timing of this one really sucked. Some acquaintances of ours lost their son ( who was the same age as Gumby) in a freak accident on holiday when this song was so popular. Every time you turned on the radio there it was. It kind of became associated with the depths of grief in our friendship circle and has left me unable to ever hear this song without wailing. We were in a restaurant the last time I heard it, on the overhead system, and I had to go to the ladies. I really need to work on this.
#3. Talk of the Town, The Pretenders. One of my favorite bands ever. Let's just get that out on the table. I know this isn't one of their more high profile songs, but it's the one that gets to me the most. (Although "Kid" can tweak the tear glands at times). As with the other songs on my list timing plays a role here, too. I was in a very crappy time in my life, lots of personal turmoil and, in hindsight, I was a baby. I was desperately in love with a man who was driving me out of my mind, seemingly for the sheer fun of it. This song perfectly catches that mood. I don't remember that the song was current, I think I just played it over and over again obsessively to torture myself. It still makes me cry, but more in a relieved "Oh thank god that's over" kind of way. And I still, in spite of myself, love the song.
Drumroll, please...TAG! You're it!

13 comments:

Happy in the Abyss said...

WOW! I'm good at this.

#1- How To Save A Life by The Fray. It reminds me of sitting in the waiting room while Mom was in surgery. I just remember thinking that there was no way that Cancer had come to my family, again! But, all my hoping did not work.

#2- Track #13 on Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette. Married man. Enough said.

#3- Bad Day by Daniel Powter. It was playing on the radio while we were rushing our baby to the hospital and she stopped breathing. Talk about a bad day!!!

WOW..Anyone have a tissue?

Mya said...

RC,
You've just confirmed all the good things I ever suspected about you. If you're an RLJ fan, you're pretty damn cool. The one that gets me teary is Last Chance Texaco.

I Can't Make you Love Me - by Bonnie Rait (although written, I think, by Paul Brady.) George Michael's version pales in comparison. Pass the kleenex.

Shawn Colvin - pretty much everything she does.

Every Breath you Take - the Police. Corresponds with a particularly obsessive relationship I was having at the time.

Bob Marley - Is This Love? Happy tears only.

Sorry it's more than three, but once you start, they just keep on coming!

Mya x

Jen said...

Urgh. Great, now I'll be weepy just thinking about it.

#1 Cat's in the Cradle, by Harry Chapin. I suppose it's obvious. My dad was gone a lot while I was growing up. Having my own child just makes me boo-hoo more at this song.

#2 Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty. Generally, I crank this song, but sometimes it makes me cry because it reminds me of a tough time in life. Especially the line "Just one more year and then you'll be happy".

#3 Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd. Written in part for Syd Barret, it just reminds me of friends long gone, both physically and mentally.

Cripes. Hand me that box of Kleenex please. What do you mean, RC used it all? Damn.

Anonymous said...

I didn't have to dig up the Rickie Lee Jones song online, I've had it on either CD or cassette since 1979, although in truth it's not my favourite song on the that album.

The songs that grasbe me by the nuts are:
1. A Case of You, Joni Mitchell.
2. Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley version.
3. Single Perfect Raindrop, Things of Stone and Wood.

PS Apparently RLJ put out a CD this year.

Anonymous said...

I should explain, my songs bring a tear to the eye just for their beauty, not because of any memories. But here's one that makes me misty for both the song itself and the tragedy behind it: Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy.

Hey Jen, Wish You Were Here, is the better song, and was partly written for Syd Barrett, Shine on You Crazy Diamond was completely written for him.

the rotten correspondent said...

HITA - Yep, those all work.

mya - I agree about Last Chance Texaco, but I only cry every other time I hear that one.

jen - don't go blaming me for your tissue shortage. That's a pretty weepy list all right.

willowtree - thanks for stopping by. I thought I was the only one who'd had Rickie Lee Jones that long. And I know what you mean about some songs just being so beautiful on their own that they make you cry.

I hate to sound like an idiot, but what is the tragedy behind Fields of Gold?

Susan said...

I don't know how good I will be at this since there are so many, I agree with Mya, once you start it is just gets going. My husband has a list of his own, but here goes for me:

Calling My Children Home, sung by Emmylou Harris and a few others on Live at the Ryman (and a lot of others by her...she is so great).

Pilgrim, sung by Steve Earle and a few others on The Mountain. There is a correlation between these two that makes them especially poignant.

A lot of Johnny Cash American Recording and Dixie Chicks, So Hard on Taking the Long Way (a GREAT recording)

Now for the sappy mother in me--I get teary during the fifteen-year-old girl's violin recital every year. It is so amazing to watch the little kids proudly play Go Tell Aunt Rhody, and then listen to the violinists as they work their way up through the college level players tackling "real" music like Vivaldi and Bach and Handel. At the end of each recital the whole studio, including teachers, play a few ensemble pieces, and I know most of the mothers are wiping their eyes then. Something about listening to these kids make REAL music, beautiful music, and to know how hard they have worked to put it all together touches me.

the rotten correspondent said...

my two cents - I had a really hard time too and could have put in another ten songs at least. You're entitled to sappy mother moments during violin recitals - that's the good stuff.

I'd love to know the husband's list. And I'm thrilled the blog "crisis" is over!

Anonymous said...

There's no tragedy behind the song Fields of Gold itself, the tragedy is that Eva Cassidy died from melanoma when she was just 33 years old. However, her version of the song can bring a tear to your eye.

queencake and titangirl said...

this is fun!
1) forgiven- deb talan ( listen and cry)
2) the luckiest-ben folds ( this is just so beautiful and clear)
3) landslide-fleetwood( although it`s an ancient song, i heard it the first time when i watched the film jersey girl, pass me the tissues, please! )

Akelamalu said...

Just too many to list - I can cry at almost anything!

Jo Beaufoix said...

1. Fields of Gold gets me too. Eva Cassidy just died so young. It makes me think about mortality and then I get all bleary eyed.

2. When I was a kid, 'Living Years'
by Mike and the Mechanics made me sad as I'd lost my Gran.

I don't like the song, or the band, but they make me cry.

3. When I was pregnant with Miss E, a band called Boyzone did a cover of a song called 'Father and Son' again about death I think. I boo hooed to this a few times. Now I'd just turn it off as it's a load of bobbins.

Anonymous said...

Desperado. Played it at my brother's funeral.

How Do I Live (Without You) A Cub Scout mom had this played at her 8 year old son's funeral. All the kids walking up to deposit a flower for Michael. Sobbbbbb.

Try a Little Kindness-Glen Campbell. I think you had to be there to understand.

GREAT blog question!