Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Thursday Three

Irrational fears. We all have them, as much as we might wish we didn't. Sometimes the more irrational they are the harder they are to shake. The Midwesterner who is terrified of sharks, for example. Are they afraid of the idea of sharks or the sharks themselves? And does the fact that they live in a place that won't easily allow them to face their fears make it worse? Why would you be afraid of something you'll most likely never run into?

Why do our brains do this to us?


Three Irrational Fears...


#1. Snakes. Not just poisonous snakes, like the
fine upstanding specimen to the right, but any snake, any size, anywhere. If I lived in the Amazon Rainforest and I was afraid of snakes that would be a sign of intelligence. But lets be honest here. I don't run into too many snakes on a daily basis. Sure my three boys have all expressed an interest in a pet snake, but that one never even made it into the discussion stage. They probably heard my "NO!!" in the Amazon.

What makes me crazy is if you put four legs on them and call them lizards I have no problem at all. We've had several pet lizards and they were great. They didn't bother me a bit.

I've been really big on the whole "Face your fears" bandwagon the last couple of years, and this was the first thing that came up to challenge me. We were at an animal exhibition when someone came walking around with a fifty foot long snake that weighed about two tons. It had fangs longer than my leg and made the basilisk in HP look meek. One of my reptile loving kids, I've blocked out which, looked at me evilly and said "Face your fears, mom" and the next thing I knew I had both hands on the snake, because I'm damned if I'm going to give my kids that kind of ammunition. Thank god the handlers didn't want anyone to hold it or "Face your fears" would've turned into "Run like hell out the front door and let the kids fend for themselves." Ugh.



#2. Siamese cats.
When I was about four my mom and I visited one of her friends in St. Louis. This woman had two Siamese cats and they weren't thrilled about me being on their turf, so they just kind of cat vanished during out trip. I never even saw them.

Until...

Our last day there they pounced on me from the top of the fridge and tore my face up so badly I had to go to the doctors. I've been terrified of Siamese cats ever since.

What makes this irrational is that I've had one dog run in after another and I'm not even remotely afraid of dogs. I've had bones in my left hand bitten through trying to stop two German Shepherds from fighting. I got bitten by a dog that hadn't had its rabies shots and I had to sweat it out while they quarantined the dog for ten days. I've been bitten at least four other times that I can think of off the top of my head, mostly as a kid. Yet I have no fear of dogs whatsoever. I will admit that the sound of dogs fighting freaks me out, thanks to a certain aggressive Shepherd from my past, but my dogs never even grumble at each other so it never comes up.

But Siamese cats scare the living crap out of me. It goes without saying that if there's one within twenty feet it's all over me, purring and rubbing up against me. Sadists. They smell fear.

And they like it.




#3. Small, enclosed spaces. Now seriously, how is a space going to hurt you? Is the wall going to punch you in the head? I don't think so. This is one where it's all about the idea of it. I don't like cramped spaces. They make me very nervous.

The summer I was repeating the Face your fears mantra we drove to California for the summer. In South Dakota there are caves. Lots and lots of caves. Everyone else was all gung ho to see this one particular cave that had something stupid about it that was special. I was not big on this idea, but, you guessed it, my little mantra came back to bite me in the butt. I need a new line. I did the tour through the cave (all sixty minutes of it) and only got through because I never looked up. I looked at the ground directly in front of my feet and the shirt just ahead of me. Not very exciting as cave tours go. But I got through it.

But it isn't anything I plan to do again. Ever.

Your turn...

22 comments:

la bellina mammina said...

I'm afraid of cockroaches!! 1 cockroach in the room, and I'll run out SCREAMING! Not a ladylike sight. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Holy shit! Maybe if you were a little more afraid of dogs you wouldn't have so many bite marks!

Cats are just plain nasty, trust me I know!

Dumdad said...

Fear of snakes is common; spiders the same. Claustrophobia is also not rare.

The Siamese cats phobia is understandable given what happened to you.

At least, you not as bad as the actor Billy Bob Thornton who has a phobia of antique furniture!

Pam said...

i hate ALL creepy crawly things...i don't like cats at all, but they like me for some reason...go figure. lol but i, too, hate enclosed spaces...there's also heights, the ocean, let me see....what else? lol

Pam said...

btw...seems like we got some things in common. i'm not sure if those cats are sensing fear in me as much as the intense dislike i have of them...i was also bit by a dog w no shots, but didn't have to get the ol' rabies shot cuz it didn't tear thru my skin. the parallels are freaky i tell ya! lol

Jen said...

Hmmm. Okay, here goes, face your fears, right?

1. Fire alarms. Sounds rational, right? Everyone should be a bit afraid of fire. But the sound of an alarm makes me want to faint. We went through several fires while I was growing up. Kitchen blew up, my brother torched our bedroom that we shared when we were little. So the sound of the alarm inspires terror in me. Fires in fireplaces are okay.

2. Small closed in spaces. My brother once threw a blanket over my head when we were kids,and I panicked, then fainted. I also hate driving through moutain tunnels. Something I don't have to worry about anymore since moving to Georgia.

3. Bridges. When we lived in Charleston, there was a very rickety bridge (Old Cooper River Bridge) that you had to take to get into downtown from where we lived. It was built in 1936, and looked like an old roller coaster from Coney Island. I still have nightmares about running off that bridge and falling into the river.

code word: ijqvsss

The system is mocking your fear of snakes, RC!

Diana said...

Bugs. Crawly, leaping-out-at-you (even if they can't jump) crunchy when you step on them (shudder) bugs.

I no longer hate spiders, though. They eat bugs. (Yeah. That's rational.)

I've actually gotten less visibly freaked with bugs since gardening here in Wisconsin, where if you can't be with the bugs, you can't have a garden.

Is it all cats for you or just the Siamese ones?

the rotten correspondent said...

la bellina - I'm with you. Cockroaches are gross. Once the LA Times sunday magazine put a photo of a bunch of scurrying cockroaches on the cover and all over town people were picking up their paper and screaming.It looked SO real. They had complaints for months!

willowtree - I knew that looked bad as I wrote it, but except for the overly aggressive shepherd (and this is a long story, believe me) I've not been bitten as an adult. I'm cautious, trust me, don't approach strange dogs, etc. We just always had slews of dogs growing up.

dumdad - I know my fears aren't super unusual, which makes me even crankier with myself. Antique furniture?? Wonder if that has something to do with the fact that he keeps hooking up with 20 year olds?!

ciara - that is weird, we do have a lot of the same stuff. Cats absolutely adore me, and the only cats I like are my mom's. Are you really afraid of the ocean? It's funny, because I'm afraid of so many stupid things, yet I'm calmer in the ocean than just about anywhere.

jen - sounds are really powerful triggers and it sounds like you have some crappy experiences to back that one up. I'm sure your radio experience with the fire didn't help either! And the tunnels - *shudder*- I about pass out every time I go through that Eisenhower tunnel under the Rockies. That thing feels like it goes on for days.

diana - bugs are not a huge amount of fun, I'm with you. Unless they sting though they don't normally bother me. And spiders don't bother me at all. It's pretty much all cats, but Siamese are the absolute worst.

Beth said...

Bridges, sidewalk grates, and heights. And tunnels. And fire. I'll just stop there before someone calls a shrink. What makes bridges and sidewalk grates odd is that my youngest sister, 14-1/2 YEARS younger, who was a toddler when I left home, has the same irrational fears of bridges and sidewalk grates.

Akelamalu said...

Okay here's my irrational fears...

Rats and mice - it's the tails and the fact that they're so bloody quick!

Cockroaches - too big, too quick!

Heights - I think I must have been a leming in a previous life as I always want to throw myself forward if I'm higher than ground level.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Siamese cats can be so mean. I mean look what happened in Lady and the Tramp.

1. I am quite scared of big spiders.
I can cope with small ones, but big ones with hairy legs and I run a mile.

2. Driving in a storm.
This has nothing to do with driving and lots to do with flying home from a girls week in Corfu with Miss E aged 19 months on my knee. It was a stormy night and we got struck by lightening and ended up with a hole in the wing.
I have never been so scared in my life.

3. Fear of small enclosed spaces. I could never go pot-holing, down a mine or in any kind of space where I couldn't stand up straight or get out when I needed too. I just feel overwhelmed and panicky.

4. I'm a little afraid of heights, so I just avoid them.

I think that's kind of it.
I did watch a programme once where someone was afraid of baked beans. It was mad but so awful.
Their fear was so real you could taste it.
(It didn't taste of baked beans though.)

Iota said...

Life. I am afraid of life. (I'm having a bad day here).

the rotten correspondent said...

pixel pi - that is really weird that you'd be afraid of the same things.did you grow up in the same place? maybe there was something scary in the neighborhood?

akelamalu - heights aren't my favorite either. my kids have three rats so I've kind of had to get past that one.

jo - I'd never get on a plane again if that had been me. good god. I get totally panicky in small spaces too.

iota - I'm so sorry about your day. Do you need to vent??:)

Iota said...

Yes I do, but that would spoil the relentlessly cheerful identity that is Iota, where life in the Midwest is 'not wrong, just different", an endlessly fascinating and amusing opportunity for witty reflection. Actually, I should have entitled the blog "Totally Wrong and Horribly Different and I want to go Home. Now."

And snakes. I share your snake phobia. Reptiles in general, but snakes are the worst. The pits. Snake pits. Today is snake pits day.

Happy in the Abyss said...

I love this one.

I am not scared of cockroaches, but they freak me out! I can't stand to see them...even on tv!!!

Yup...that's pretty much it. Oh, and bad hair days!!!


LUV U, Sister!

the rotten correspondent said...

iota - don't you know that venting on other people's blogs doesn't affect the relentlessly cheery identity? I find cheer overrated, myself. Who wants to hang out with Mary Poppins?? I like a little edge...

HITA - do you even HAVE bad hair days????

Iota said...

OK Rotten Corres, you've asked for it. Check out my blog in a little while...

Stacie said...

Great topic and interesting responses from everyone! Here are my 3:
1) spiders and all things bugs
2) semi trailers--I just know one of them is going to kill me on the freeway some day. I've had that fear since I was a very little girl. The fear is that they will fall over somehow and squish me/my car.
3) speaking to large crowds of people (adults)--I can do it if I have to, but would much, much, much rather not!

Pam said...

r.c.-yes, the ocean is a scary place and there's so much we still don't know down in the deepest depths. and now they're finding all those weird sea creatures...yuck. my son asked me what's more scary..ocean or space? at least w space if u get lost in it u pretty much know why ur a goner lol

i hate bridges and cockroaches, too. i sound like a real chicken chit, huh? lol

Susan said...

Ok, I've thought about it all day and I've decided that I don't have any irrational fears. Not that I don't have fears, but I've thought it over very carefully, and all of my fears are quite real and absolutely possible!

the rotten correspondent said...

Stacie - I don't like semi-trailers either, especially on the freeway. They're really creepy.

ciara - I've seen the tongue ring shots. NO ONE is gonna call you a chicken shit!

my two cents - I'm not sure if that should make you feel better or worse.

Hey everyone - 20 comments today!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!

Beth said...

RC: We did not grow up remotely in the same places. My dad was transferred every 2-3 years. We live 2000 miles from each other. We don't read the same books or eat the same food (semi-veggie here, she loves sushi). I'm clueless. But we often find ourselves saying to each other, "Get out of my brain!"